I would like to put my chicks outside

mmiller101014

Hatching
May 7, 2015
I live in California right about point conception and have 9 6-7 week old chicks. They are getting too big for their brooding box and I have been taking them out during the day but still bringing them in at night. About how much longer will they need to spend their nights in the house?

paddock36

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 24, 2008
Ocala, Florida
If they are fully feathered they should be fine outside as far as the weather is concerned Of course you want to make sure to keep them safe from predators.

junebuggena

Crowing
Apr 17, 2015
Long Beach, WA
How big is their coop? Most chicks that age are feathered well enough to be outside. I put mine out when it was still about 40 degrees at night, they did just fine. The reason I ask about coop size, is that too small a coop with too many birds can cause them to get too warm.

sunflour

Flock Master
8 Years
Jan 10, 2013
Macon,GA
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us. I agree with OP, they should be fully feathered and ready to go their permanent home.

Beekissed

Free Ranging
13 Years
Feb 14, 2008
This world is not my home.
I never keep mine in the house, so the answer is go ahead and put them out there. Next time just brood them right in the coop if you can so they are naturally hardened off and there's no transition. Run an extension cord to the coop if you have to, but feel free to keep all that mess and noise out of your house from now on.

mmiller101014

Hatching
May 7, 2015
I think they are fully feathered. But they still seem small. I went out to check on them and they were all huddled in a pile. Their outside coop is big 12x40 plus a hen house on the side for when they are ready. I would really like to leave them outside all the time but every time I come around they all come running and I feel like they want to go back inside. (haha, maybe they just want food). Thanks for the advice, obviously I'm new at this :)

mmiller101014

Hatching
May 7, 2015
My favorite one looks like the hen in your profile picture. She is great, doesn't want to be picked up but once she lets me she just turns into a feathery puddle in my hands!

Top Bottom