I would like to start with 45 laying chickens and maybe 5 roosters. How big should the coop be. I have a big yard which I can always let the them run

Rabohwa

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2020
Centurion, South Africa
I would like to start with 45 laying chickens and maybe 5 roosters. How big should the coop be. I have partitioned the yard and there is at least 4 000 sq.m they can always run in. The coop is mainly to keep the predators away at night and for laying booths.

First of all, you would need more than forty five hens for five roos, but if you wanted 50 birds total, you would probably need about 200 sq ft of coop space for 50 standard birds, less for bantams. Your run would need to be really huge.

Yep, ~200sqft of coop space minimum, 50 feet of roost length, 10-12 nests.

Welcome to BYC! @Rabohwa
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1594764670406.png

For that many birds, I think that the run would need to be 500 square feet, or 350 at the minimum. You'd probably want more than 500 square feet, though. All the other space aspects have already been mentioned above. Good luck!

I think 5 rooster would be fine, as that would be 9 Hens per rooster. They would need a VERY spacious run though, like what was mentioned before. A big coop too, at least 200 square feet and A LOT of roosting space, 18’’ per bird.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom