I Would Love to See Pictures of Your Set Up!

I just love all the new constructions. Some are painfully cute. Our Hen house and Run are comprised of a Lean-to Hen House (10X10) and Run (10X14) at the rear of our old Barn. Outside of that is a fenced yard under tree cover (40X20), then a gate to a fenced 2 acre wood for the Chicken tribe to free range. See pics

38332_img_1350.jpg

38332_img_1355.jpg

38332_img_1365.jpg

38332_img_1358.jpg

38332_img_1361.jpg

38332_img_1364.jpg

38332_img_1367.jpg

38332_p1060018.jpg

38332_img_1466.jpg

14 years with chicken friends, 14 years of tears and laughs and oh yes........eggs

Quote:
Darkmatter, is pressure treated pine okay to build a shed out of?

The only pressure treated lumber I used was for the sill that is the base of the walls on top of the foundation. I also made sure my exterior sheathing extended down past the sill, overlapping the foundation. This is to prevent rainwater running down the side of the coop and entering the sill area and rotting the base of the walls. The reason I used pressure treated lumber for the base of the walls on top of my brick foundation was to prevent moisture from the ground working its way up to cause decay. More then half of my Coop was salvage materials, I use money only for the sheathing and some tarpaper, I had the shingles and windows and misc 2X4s from salvage.

Quote:
Darkmatter, is pressure treated pine okay to build a shed out of?

The only pressure treated lumber I used was for the sill that is the base of the walls on top of the foundation. I also made sure my exterior sheathing extended down past the sill, overlapping the foundation. This is to prevent rainwater running down the side of the coop and entering the sill area and rotting the base of the walls. The reason I used pressure treated lumber for the base of the walls on top of my brick foundation was to prevent moisture from the ground working its way up to cause decay. More then half of my Coop was salvage materials, I use money only for the sheathing and some tarpaper, I had the shingles and windows and misc 2X4s from salvage.

Where are you getting your salvaged materials from?

Quote:

Where are you getting your salvaged materials from?

Friends, relatives, neighbors doing remodeling. Dumpsters, stuff thrown out from work. Just ask around any business or construction site if there's anything there're throwing away you can have. The downside of this is your backyard starts to get cluttered with "works in progress"

Rpchris very cool! I think you are really going to like it when it's altogether and I'm sure your chicks will too! We built our first one in the garage but forgot to make sure we could take it apart t move it to the back...took four full grown men to move the bulk of it and me carrying a door piece. We learned our lesson for the second coop though!

Juan any time you feel like building another...
big_smile.png

For a first class ticket I could buy one, but they still aren't as cool as yours turned out! Wouldn't your family enjoy a tripnto the Outer Banks?? We haven't had a natural diaster in weeks!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom