Ice stuck to duck

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I found with problem with my Muscovy ducks this morning. The main drake has a layer of ice stuck on his chest. I'm going to catch him to deal with it. Will it cause problems if I have to clip the ends of some of his chest feathers? Their water dish is deep enough for them to submerge their heads but I'm thinking his is dribbling down then freezing. It is going down to -31c again tonight and I am worried this ice on his chest will cause him to be even colder.
Appreciate any advice on how to remove it, and if there is anything I can do to prevent it. Other than this issue, the flock is healthy.

Just leave it. Happens to my drake every year. Once they go into the coop they usually warm up enough for it to melt. And the times it's been too cold to melt, he's not had any issues.
It will just keep happening.

Last edited:
I have a chicken this is happening to as well, she has big waddles and I think it drips down to her chest and freezes. She has been this way on and off for a month or so, she has been just fine. Agree with @Crazy Maizie it will melt off in the coop otherwise if he is acting ok, then he should be fine

Back
Top Bottom