Icelandic Chickens

MissE

Crowing
Oct 17, 2020
Northern MN
Who has first hand experience with Icelandic chickens? I know they are fairly rare, and I haven't seen much for recent posts about them.

There are a couple people who advertise on Craig's List now and then in my area. I love the variety of colors, and based on my climate, the cold hardiness is a plus.

Obviously the seller is going to point out the good things, and many Google articles related to chicken breeds and behavior aren't worth a the data it takes to read them, so I am seeking other opinions.

I would like to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks. I did read that thread. I will try reaching out. There were certainly some beautiful birds posted there.

Those have been on my "some day" list of breeds for a long time, they are beautiful!

Best of luck to you!

Curious to know how you are seeing so many pop up on craigslist if they are so rare. Is it possible that they are a different breed or mutts that are being marketed as icelandic chickens? I just heard about these chickens for the first time today and would love to know more. How do you know if it's an icelandic chicken if their appearance and egg color varies so widely?

Curious to know how you are seeing so many pop up on craigslist if they are so rare. Is it possible that they are a different breed or mutts that are being marketed as icelandic chickens? I just heard about these chickens for the first time today and would love to know more. How do you know if it's an icelandic chicken if their appearance and egg color varies so widely?
Turns out it just one breeder, but the have several posts. Some for eggs, some for chicks, and some for adults. I can't remember off hand what line they are.

I have Icelandics that came from David Grote of Whippoorwill Farms. I have Hlesey and Steinar II lines. My first batch came in winter and still hatched out 4 that are about 4 months old now. My newest batch actually just arrived today (Shipped Monday from Wisconsin and arrived this afternoon in Northern California). We had a lot of power outages in winter so I am hoping for a better hatch rate this time around.

Both times I've ordered a dozen hatching eggs I have recieved extras and no broken eggs. No one that I am aware of in my immediate area of Northern California has Icelandics. I searched for a year before ordering eggs from Whippoorwill Farms. I would strongly recommend following the Facebook page if you are interested in learning more about them.

https://www.facebook.com/icechickensofwpwfarm/

There are lots of other Facebook groups dedicated to the breed as well.

I have Icelandics that came from David Grote of Whippoorwill Farms. I have Hlesey and Steinar II lines. My first batch came in winter and still hatched out 4 that are about 4 months old now. My newest batch actually just arrived today (Shipped Monday from Wisconsin and arrived this afternoon in Northern California). We had a lot of power outages in winter so I am hoping for a better hatch rate this time around.

Both times I've ordered a dozen hatching eggs I have recieved extras and no broken eggs. No one that I am aware of in my immediate area of Northern California has Icelandics. I searched for a year before ordering eggs from Whippoorwill Farms. I would strongly recommend following the Facebook page if you are interested in learning more about them.

https://www.facebook.com/icechickensofwpwfarm/

There are lots of other Facebook groups dedicated to the breed as well.
Thanks! Pretty sure that's the breeder who posts on my local Craigslist. I'm not on Facebook, but will talk to my sister. Maybe I can use hers next time she's over.

Back
Top Bottom