Icelandic Chickens

Welcome to BYC. How many of the Icelandic chicks and chickens do you have? We have four pens of them and I am planning to move roosters occasionally to get the most diversity from our small flock.

I currently have 7 Icelandic hens and 3 Roos. Just hatched my first batch from these and have 6 chicks about 10 days old all doing well. I have two more batches in the incubator. 14 developing in batch two that should hatch tomorrow although one has already started. Batch 3 has 34 eggs and I will candle later today and thin out any not developing. I also have 16 RIR hens in another coop as many of my friends and family prefer larger brown eggs. The icelandics are to fill my need of diverse colors and help save a great breed of bird.

RIR are from a hatchery. I plan to keep them for another year or so and when I replace them will start with a heritage line that I can replace as needed from. I do have two that have gone broody though. They have a couple of icie eggs under them as I have no other roosters other than Ickes and hate to see their efforts wasted.

How did batch 2 and 3 turn out, Maldwin?

I have 7 Icelandic chicks that are about 3 weeks old. I got a 50% hatch out of mailed eggs. It was my first shot at incubating so I have lots to learn.

DSCN0133.JPG

Back
Top Bottom