Icelandic Rooster and Hen

JuliaMGrz

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 28, 2011
St Charles, IL

This is Buddy and Teddi. They are Icelandics. She lays eggs the most often and while they are smaller than the Java eggs I get, they are just as delicious and once cracked open, seemingly the same size as the rest of my eggs. Buddy is a bit too much for me to handle in a backyard flock and while he is beautiful would be better suited for a farm or even a larger yard. Teddi and he are bonded and she does not get on too well with the rest of the girls. I would love to re-home them if anyone is interested. I am willing to give them away but to a good home. They are one year an a couple months old.

While purchasing pullets this spring it turns out that so far for certain two of my "pullets" are cockerels. I may need to re-home some more. One is a buff Orpington cock rel and one is an Auburn Java. Being in a suburban backyard...that is a total of three too many roosters. I will see how noisy and tame the others two are and believe that Garfield Farm may be interested in the Java Rooster.

Finally, one of my baby Barred Rock "pullets" is bigger than the other and I am hoping not to see signs of a little cockerel in one of them. Any thoughts?

I plan on posting pictures of all my flock. I have 4 adult Java hens (one pure white) and two baby Java's (one pure white and the auburn my be a roo). I also have a couple Welsumers and 3 Gold Laced Wyondottes

They are a handsome pair. The are a less typical breed so I maybe it won't be too hard to find a good home for them. You may want to post on the Illinois thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/37/illinois

And it might be a good idea to post in the Buy, sell, trade section of the forum. Go to the drop down forum menu at the top of the page to find it. You can list the price as $0 if you just want to find a good home. It wouldn't hurt to put a sign up where you buy your chicken feed, too.

Back
Top Bottom