1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ick! Bloody yolk!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hennyjenn, Dec 19, 2010.

1. hennyjenn

hennyjenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    IN
    What could that be from? I looked in "The Chicken Health Handbook" and it says chronic cholera or newcastles, but both are fairly uncommon, so I'm hoping it is something that just happens from time to time. Anyone else ever have an egg like this?

[​IMG]

ETA: It is in the frying pan, that's why some of the white is, well, white.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ive never seen one that bloody. hope someone helps u out

3. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I had a teeny bit of blood in a double yolk egg before, but it has never happened again. Is it reoccuring or did it happen just once?

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

do you have a rooster?

6. hennyjenn

hennyjenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    IN
    Nope, no rooster. We have the occasional little blood spot, but this was pretty gross. We don't eat all of our eggs (sell about 75% of them) but no one has ever mentioned getting an egg like this. Hopefully it is just a one-of-a-kind thing.

7. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    that's what i'm scared of... i haven't eaten any of my chicken's eggs... after reading the thread about the worm, and now this... i'm scared LOL...

8. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    You sure there is no rooster?

9. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:Don't be scared- I had store bought eggs for the first time today at a charity breakfast and they were gross! [​IMG]

Just remember to crack your eggs in a separate bowl before using (I have always done that- even with store bought eggs)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  10. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:lol... i just ate a silkie egg from my pen for the first time ever... LOL... although it was a bantam egg, it was delicious... i'm looking for some egg layers, actually looking for some light sussex, if not some columbian wyandottes...

i guess i'll have to start using the glass cup trick...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by