ID-ing right after the hatch?

ebonykawai

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
Wheatfield, NY near NiagFalls
I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I have eggs from two sources and I want to ID the chicks so I know who came from where later. If I can't open the incubator during a hatch, how can I mark them? What does everyone else do?

Last edited:
Quote:
Last year I incubated eggs from my chickens for my neighbor, and from my neighbors chickens for myself - we wanted new blood in our flocks. So instead of X's and O's to mark the eggs, I marked them with P's and I's (her initials) and A's and L's (mine.) Then when I got to day 18, I made a hardware cloth "basket" the size of half the incubator. I put all of her eggs into one basket (so to speak,
lol.png
) and left mine in the other half. Then when hatch was complete, they were still separated. There was one particular chick of mine however that I wanted to keep. I knew it had come from my favorite hen (my one EE that lays gorgeous solid olive colored eggs) so as soon as that one hatched and dried, I reached in and marked it's head with a red sharpie marker and quickly stuck it back in. And wouldn't you know, that one was a pullet who's daddy was obviously my SLW roo. She turned out absolutely gorgeous and she also lays a pretty olive-colored egg, just like mama! Gotta love that!
smile.png

Quote:
Uh... her way is easier!
lol.png

I bloodied my hands making that dang hardware cloth basket.

And here I was just thinking as I read how you did it, that I'd have to try doing it that way!
big_smile.png

Really great ideas-you could probably also buy a wire mesh basket somewhere and use it. I'm going to keep my eyes out for one!

Quote:
Yeah, the key is finding one that will fit in the incubator with it closed. That was why I made one. I couldn't find one that fit correctly.

Back
Top Bottom