ID this critter?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hiccup, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Hiccup

Hiccup New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    Lately every time I handle my Brahmas I seem to end up with these critters on my arms and shirt, anyone know what they are? I haven't seen them from my RSL or Leghorns just the Brahmas. They are tiny the size of a needle eye or so. Black and cream. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    Lice?

3. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    yeah that looks like lice

4. Hiccup

Hiccup New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    Ok, so if my research is correct a few weeks of DE and all should be well?

5. settingdusk

settingdusk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Yes, put it in a baby powder bottle and puff it under both wings, on the vent and on the neck near the shoulders. Another treatment is to pick up ivermectin. Its a pesticide you mix 1 part to 2 parts water. Paint it in the same areas with a small paintbrush. Repeat treatment exactly 11 days later. My chickens just got chicken lice treated. Don't worry the lice are species specific and won't attack you. When you paint with ivermectin, paint the patch of skin under each wing, the circle of skin around the vent, and a few dabs on back of neck. Blow the feathers out of the way with your breath so you can paint the skin. The effects are immediate and dead lice will start falling off.

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    It looks more like a wingless sausage fly or something like that than any type of chicken lice that I have ever seen. What does the hen look like? Lice are easy to find and ID. Look under the feathers and at the base of the feathers. This is were the lice lay their eggs, sometimes called nits. Also any hen with an infestation of lice will have red, irritated, and rough skin.

7. Hiccup

Hiccup New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    No sign of nits, lice, eaten feathers, mites or even these critters. I only find them after holding the Brahmas though.

8. settingdusk

settingdusk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Your brahmas must be digging alot then. If its something other then lice it would be a bug eater with jaws like that. Unless, its a chewing louse. Either way, DE or Ivermectin will kill them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  9. Henman

Henman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Fouke, Arkansas
    Can any one tell me what these bugs are that I found in a new sack of feed. Omega laying pellets. [​IMG]

10. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    chewing lice. Order malophaga in the insect kingdom. they are annoying but symbiotic with chickens. they only eat the casings of new feathers. They get very little blood from the bird so they arent really a big deal. and they cant transmit to humans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by