ID This Unknown Predator Track & Gait & Please Give Advice!! See Photos!

ladyeccowolf

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 22, 2013
Ohio
For the past two weeks we have been having a problem with an unknown predator or predators. I live in Ohio and we have coyotes, skunks, raccoons, opossums, crows, and hawks. On one of my frequent trips to my barn and fenced in area to feed my Silkie chickens, Guinea Fowl, and Jumbo Pekin ducks, I found most of my Silkies missing. I searched around and saw some Silkie feathers and a few of their black bones along with two crow feathers. I then I found one of my hens headless body wedged between the hen house and the barn wall and then one of my young roosters body under our barn. We are devastated. They were not only our beloved birds but our son would show them for 4-H and their eggs were a source of food for our family. We even named them and it really hurt to see most of them gone. I saw some brown scat that looked to be 3" long but I didn't think to take a photo of it. Since then a few more of our Silkies have gone missing and now we are down to 3; 1 young rooster, a young hen, and a mature hen. Our Guinea Fowl and Jumbo Pekin ducks were unharmed, until today. Today it snowed and I was able to see tracks and gait in the snow. I'm thinking we have either a raccoon problem or opossum problem. I'm leaning towards raccoon but what do you think? Unfortunately, one of my Jumbo Pekin ducks was attacked. She survived with a claw mark on her bill and a cut above her right leg. She is in my house resting and healing and getting lots of love. I bought two catch & release traps tonight and placed them right on the predator's tracks. I'm hoping with some peanut butter and luck, I'll catch whatever it is and put it down before it can kill again. Any advice as to preventing raccoons and opossums from coming near our flock and/or protecting our birds? Thank you so very much!!

I would certainly recommend trapping it. Seeing as now unfortunately it knows where the food buffet is, it might be worth shooting it. :-( I'd recommend taking some hardware mesh and covering up those holes and all else you can find.

Back
Top Bottom