Idaho?

Hello There Neighbor! Thank you for the excellent information. I wanted to make sure that I'm not missing anything, as far what other Idahoans do to keep a healthy flock. We've been raising chickens for just over two years and absolutely love it! I told my husband that I would like to keep chickens for the rest of my life! We have four sons that really enjoy it too. So, as you can tell, our flock is very important to us and keeping them healthy (and alive) ;} is very important to us too. I am wondering if our last hen died of worms. I don't know how I could have determined what was causing her decline. However, if one more hen gets sick we will be driving straight to the vet! I'm not going to sit by and let my flock slip away. I already use DE in the dust baths and even have recently tried mixing a small amount into the food for internal parasites. Is there anything I can do as a preventative measure to keep worms out of our flock? Or I wonder if I should deworm all of them right now. I have a variety of ages, from about 3 week old chicks up to 2 years.
Also, we definitely have scaly leg mites in the flock. A few hens seem particularly succeptible, and so I treat them by rubbing vaseline on their legs with a few drops of Melaleuca oil and Peppermint oil mixed in. The legs will start to heal after that, but it always comes back.
So, here's my question...what exactly am I looking for when I check for mites/lice, and if they have them, what do I do about it? Looking back, I see that Birdrain92 answered the question, what to do about parasites. I will try those things right away. I'd like to keep the flock free ranging. They love it, and its entertaining to see them enjoy their freedom.

Last edited:
Hello There Neighbor! Thank you for the excellent information. I wanted to make sure that I'm not missing anything, as far what other Idahoans do to keep a healthy flock. We've been raising chickens for just over two years and absolutely love it! I told my husband that I would like to keep chickens for the rest of my life! We have four sons that really enjoy it too. So, as you can tell, our flock is very important to us and keeping them healthy (and alive) ;} is very important to us too. I am wondering if our last hen died of worms. I don't know how I could have determined what was causing her decline. However, if one more hen gets sick we will be driving straight to the vet! I'm not going to sit by and let my flock slip away. I already use DE in the dust baths and even have recently tried mixing a small amount into the food for internal parasites. Is there anything I can do as a preventative measure to keep worms out of our flock? Or I wonder if I should deworm all of them right now. I have a variety of ages, from about 3 week old chicks up to 2 years.
Also, we definitely have scaly leg mites in the flock. A few hens seem particularly succeptible, and so I treat them by rubbing vaseline on their legs with a few drops of Melaleuca oil and Peppermint oil mixed in. The legs will start to heal after that, but it always comes back.
So, here's my question...what exactly am I looking for when I check for mites/lice, and if they have them, what do I do about it? Looking back, I see that Birdrain92 answered the question, what to do about parasites. I will try those things right away. I'd like to keep the flock free ranging. They love it, and its entertaining to see them enjoy their freedom.

Lice are usually a gold yellow color that will crawl around the body near the wing pit, vent, and face. Then you have mites that look like dots that crawl around the body. You have to hold your bird and look in the areas and just count to 5. If they have them bad enough you'll see bugs within the 5 seconds for mites. You'll see damaged or bad quality feathers sometimes even missing. Scabs can also be a sign. If they have them bad enough they will get diarrhea.

In addition to what Birdrain92 said.. here are a couple of links for you

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-chicken-pests-how-to-protect-your-chickens-from-mites
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-lice-treatment-and-prevention

for your scaly leg mites - how often do you apply the vaseline mixture? I have read that it is a vital piece of the puzzle, along with cleaning out the coop and treating all of the roosts. We are actually going through a round of this ourselves and i am testing out a few different treatments. would love to hear others chime in on what they've found to be effective:

1. soak the legs in a warm epsom salt bath for several minutes then scrub clean (be careful of any open sores that might be present)
2. use a toothpick to clean underneath the scales, removing any debris that might be preventing the scales from healing.

3 A. when legs are completely dry, dip the legs COMPLETELY in your choice of oil (I've seen that people use linseed oil, cooking oil, mineral oil, etc.) and then coat heavily with something like vaseline, repeat the oil dip and vaseline coating for 10 days.
3 B. Spray legs with a healthy coat of scarlet oil (Redcote), re-apply in 7 days.
3 C. (probably the most controversial method, recommended by a vet from europe) Day 1 dip entire legs in gasoline and coat heavily with A&D ointment, Day 2 use A&D ointment only, Day 3 dip in gasoline again and coat in A&D ointment.

instead of the DE we have also used clean wood ash from our fire pit (no grease, etc...).

When our infestation of lice was really bad (I was at my wits end, ready to try anything) I read a few articles on the off-label use of eprinex (topical wormer for cattle) for external parasites. I don't know if anyone else could chime in about it, but we have used drops of it under the wings on our large fowl and our bantams with success. I was not aware of the more organic solutions and just wanted something that was fast and effective.

In addition to what Birdrain92 said.. here are a couple of links for you

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-chicken-pests-how-to-protect-your-chickens-from-mites
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-lice-treatment-and-prevention

for your scaly leg mites - how often do you apply the vaseline mixture? I have read that it is a vital piece of the puzzle, along with cleaning out the coop and treating all of the roosts. We are actually going through a round of this ourselves and i am testing out a few different treatments. would love to hear others chime in on what they've found to be effective:

1. soak the legs in a warm epsom salt bath for several minutes then scrub clean (be careful of any open sores that might be present)
2. use a toothpick to clean underneath the scales, removing any debris that might be preventing the scales from healing.

3 A. when legs are completely dry, dip the legs COMPLETELY in your choice of oil (I've seen that people use linseed oil, cooking oil, mineral oil, etc.) and then coat heavily with something like vaseline, repeat the oil dip and vaseline coating for 10 days.
3 B. Spray legs with a healthy coat of scarlet oil (Redcote), re-apply in 7 days.
3 C. (probably the most controversial method, recommended by a vet from europe) Day 1 dip entire legs in gasoline and coat heavily with A&D ointment, Day 2 use A&D ointment only, Day 3 dip in gasoline again and coat in A&D ointment.

instead of the DE we have also used clean wood ash from our fire pit (no grease, etc...).

When our infestation of lice was really bad (I was at my wits end, ready to try anything) I read a few articles on the off-label use of eprinex (topical wormer for cattle) for external parasites. I don't know if anyone else could chime in about it, but we have used drops of it under the wings on our large fowl and our bantams with success. I was not aware of the more organic solutions and just wanted something that was fast and effective.

I know Garlic Powder contains lots of Sulfur naturally.

Well, I checked the hens and we have creepy crawlies! I don't know what they are exactly, but they are very tiny, almost like dots. I saw them around the vents of all the hens, and noticed that a number of them do have diarrhea too. A couple of the hens have some feather loss and bright red skin around their vent. So, here's what I've done so far...I had Poultry Protector so I sprayed it on all the hen's vent areas and under the wings. I will have to buy Sevin dust, and then I plan to clean out the coop and then sprinkle the Sevin dust in the coop and on the roosting posts. So, what else should I do from here and do you think these are lice? mites? I'm also wondering if I should treat the chicks as well? The youngest are about 2 weeks old, and then there are some about 5-6 weeks old.

Last edited:
Well, I checked the hens and we have creepy crawlies! I don't know what they are exactly, but they are very tiny, almost like dots. I saw them around the vents of all the hens, and noticed that a number of them do have diarrhea too. A couple of the hens have some feather loss and bright red skin around their vent. So, here's what I've done so far...I had Poultry Protector so I sprayed it on all the hen's vent areas and under the wings. I will have to buy Sevin dust, and then I plan to clean out the coop and then sprinkle the Sevin dust in the coop and on the roosting posts. So, what else should I do from here and do you think these are lice? mites? I'm also wondering if I should treat the chicks as well? The youngest are about 2 weeks old, and then there are some about 5-6 weeks old.

Sounds like mites to me if they are like little dots moving around. I would also treat the chicks just in case so the bugs rather die if the chicks have some on them or to prevent it. Chicks will be more prone to diseases from mites and lice and higher chance to die from lice and mites than an adult chicken.

If you treat the chicks, I wouldn't recommend using the Seven dust, it may be a little to harsh for them at that age. Using Seven dust on chickens is off label, it is a garden dust and not recommended for animals on the label. I have treated adult chickens with it before but I would find an alternative for the chicks. Seven dust also will not kill lice or mite eggs so you will still have to reapply.

If you treat the chicks, I wouldn't recommend using the Seven dust, it may be a little to harsh for them at that age. Using Seven dust on chickens is off label, it is a garden dust and not recommended for animals on the label. I have treated adult chickens with it before but I would find an alternative for the chicks. Seven dust also will not kill lice or mite eggs so you will still have to reapply.
That's the hard thing with the killing these bugs is their eggs go unharmed until hatched. Just remember to have two different kinds of treatment and don't use them at the same time! If you treat with both at the same time and use it for so long there's the chance the bugs will become immune to them. Remember to alternate every year or two.

You can also use Fipronil, ( Flea and tick for dogs), one drop on the back of neck and one drop below the vent. Keeps the bugs away for months. It is easy to apply when you have a big flock, no dusting and getting the yucky powder all over the place. The eggs die as they hatch, or get the heck out of dodge, they hate the taste.

Last edited:
Where do I buy Fipronil? Is that an over the counter medication? And is that something I can use on the chicks? Also, would I need to throw away their eggs after treatment?
So, considering my situation and multigenerational flock, should I go ahead and empty the coop, scrub it with soap and water, and then sprinkle Sevin dust everywhere (as I've read about)? Also, should the Sevin dust be applied directly to the hens bodies? I've already sprayed all of the hens with Poultry Protector (citric acid basically) around the vents and under their wings, and I've also vaselined all of their legs for scaly leg mites.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom