Idaho?

I just got two 8 month old silkie hens last night and I am so excited. They are adorable. So far my other hens (golden seabrite) are afraid of them, I guess because the silkies are bigger. The rooster has been a little aggressive but I think he is just letting them know he's the big man in the coop. I am so excited for them to start laying eggs and hopefully they go broody so they can hatch some quail eggs for me.
celebrate.gif

What can you do when a dog has attacked and killed your chickens/ducks? I also need advice on care for one...

It happened... just now.... literally 20mins ago. I screamed for my dad because I saw the dog in our (fully fenced) yard on one of my ducks. (The noise of screaming duck is haunting). He ran out with his gun but all he had to do was scream and the dog let go and flopped over on its back, scared crap-less.

We leashed it and it was our neighbors.

Do we call the Humane Society? Do we make a report? Is there anything to do?

For the hurt one - She lost most of her feathers... but is okay. But her waddle is white now... not a hint of pink. Should I bring her in for awhile, or give her electrolytes?, found her after searching for about 15mins and when I did I scooped her up and placed her in the coop. She's just cuddled under the straw now.
You need to make a report to the law enforcement that way when if happens again you wont have any problems with ridding yourself of the dog. Also remember if you are not in city limits and a dog is running at large on your property you have the right to kill dog, if it is causing damage or problems. Also state of Idaho has a law on books that any dog harassing livestock or big game can be shot and killed. it should be law enforcement officer, but property owner is legal to. as for the duck she is probably stressed or in shock. keep her warm tonight and watch her she might interal damage that you can't see. best of luck but yes i would report to law enforcement.

Robbo my chickens are in Boise, but I live in Nampa at the moment, my parents have my chickens and they are out in S. Maple Grove/ Victory area. I am moving back home in June.
Mo5C where abouts in Boise are you, if you don't mind me asking? Just curious because I too am in Boise and out in the middle of no-where-boise really and I have a small flock of 6. Though the winter has been rough no one has even gotten sick or frost bit. So sad and so very sorry to hear about your many losses! 

Lost another 2 hens, 1 to a predator (probably a skunk/fox) and one to a mysterious illness, I don't have the money to take my chickens to the vet. Solved one issue with only to get another. Maybe I just need to move the coops/run to a different area on the property. Any ideas? I was also thinking it might be something in the soil where they are currently at.

Anyone want a little serama boy? He's from CDS's Stewart I beleive (I would have to double check), and hatched in December. He's a pretty dark brown color, and smooth. Please PM, cause I tend to miss posts! Free to a good home! Please note seramas do not mix well with the cold, so he will need to be kept somewhere warm! Located in Meridian.

ETA: My current little flick will NOT have my blue cream silkie pullet. Anyone interested in her? Free to a good home as well. She's like a mix of buff and blue, kind of calico looking. Catdance lines.

Last edited:
Anybody want some muscovy ducks? My helpers are way late in getting my extras into the freezer. I have breeding age males and females available. Located in Paul, Idaho.

Back
Top Bottom