Idaho?

Her body regulates its temp, it may actually be cooler under her wings and out of the sun. do you have a shady spot near a tree or bush that you could move them to, that could help her keep cool while she protects her chicks.

Okay, cool. She is in the coop which isn't in a ton of shade but the sun doesn't beat down on it all day. I have been hosing off the shingles to cool the roof down a little by evaporation. She has 7 chicks in there now and 1 hatching. I have been giving them cool water and frozen grapes to try and stay cool.

Kind of funny, but we have two ducks and the female duck keeps peeking her head into the door of the coop looking at the babies. She tried to hatch a few eggs a couple weeks ago but it didn't work out for her. I'm sure she isn't dreaming about what could have been, but it sure seems that way. She is SO interested in those babies.
Ducks won't hurt chicks, right?

Okay, cool. She is in the coop which isn't in a ton of shade but the sun doesn't beat down on it all day. I have been hosing off the shingles to cool the roof down a little by evaporation. She has 7 chicks in there now and 1 hatching. I have been giving them cool water and frozen grapes to try and stay cool. 

Kind of funny, but we have two ducks and the female duck keeps peeking her head into the door of the coop looking at the babies. She tried to hatch a few eggs a couple weeks ago but it didn't work out for her. I'm sure she isn't dreaming about what could have been, but it sure seems that way. She is SO interested in those babies. 
Ducks won't hurt chicks, right?

You'll want to keep an eye on the drake if you've never observed him around chicks/ducklings before. I've had about 50/50 with drakes being either protective or homicidal about baby birds.

The heat claimed one of my SBEL's. I was not very happy about it. I had gotten two of them from Bird Guy. They were doing great and laying daily. Then we had a day that was high 90's and no breeze. I didn't find her until I was checking on them after work. Needless to say, I was super bummed.

Anyone in the Boise/meridian area up for taking in a handicapped hen for a pet? She was the only survivor of about five that suffered leg problems from incubator failure. She has one leg that we simply could not straighten out, it folds up toward her wing and she hops and uses her wings and the "knee" joint of the bad leg to steady herself. She gets herself to food and water and keeps out of the way of the other chickens on her own, but she can't really integrate with the flock and she seems very subdued. I feel like she's earned the right to survive and I hate to see her neglected but I'm at my limit, time and energy wise, for special needs creatures (don't take that wrong, everyone in my family, hubby, two kids, myself are all "special needs" including my two cats, no joke)
I would love to see someone take her in and give her some love and attention. If anyone could take her I'd be very happy.
I'm perfectly prepared to keep her and feed her for the rest of her natural life but I think she'd do better with someone who has a little more time to enrich her daily life.

I live in Meridian and have 3 cayuga ducks and one bantam chicken. The chicken adopted us, she can still fly with one clipped wing (which is how she got here) and usually roosts in the vines on the 6' fence instead of sleeping in the coop. Due to the unexpected refugee, we're rebuilding the coop this weekend to a two-tier. Ducks below and chicken(s) up top, and adding an attached fully enclosed run to replace our currently open run.

Problem is, I think Ms Henrietta is probably a little "lonely" only having duck-friends that don't include her as often as she might like. I'm looking to get 2-4 more chickens to keep her company (and warmer in winter.) Preferably ones that lay anything but white eggs (blue/green would be best). Otherwise, I'm not too picky about the breed(s). Does anyone here in the Treasure Valley have any chickens they're looking to sell/rehome? Looking for around 3 months old to 1 yr.

Back
Top Bottom