Idea on a Broody Pen?

Kenshan1

Songster
9 Years
Aug 13, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
How much does a broody pen need? I have an old home built rabbit cage my husband built. I was thinking about putting a better door on it & a ramp out of it to make that into a nest for my broody hen. I can enclose the bottom legs to make a tiny area for her to eat a little grass, feed or water. I have a friend that can give me some eggs for her to hatch as I have no roo.

Shannon

As long as she is safe and secure and predators can't get her AND she has enough room to walk around and stretch her legs, she should be ok. Do you have a pic of this cage?

Thanks. Changed plans as soon as a I posted lol. I might make it into a pen later. Will have to add an area for the chicken to get down to the ground as the pen area is only a little bigger then a nest box. So basicly turn it into a small tractor. In my main coop my husband said I should just wall off one nest box & the inclosed roost area so I did. Looked like it would work, no other hens could get in. Forgot about the lip of the nest box to keep the shavings in. It was too high when I put 4 new hatched chicks under my Broodie. All was fine till this afternoon when they all got out of the nest box & couldn't get back in. I don't think Broodie kicked them out but not totally sure. Wasn't going to chance it again when one was almost stiff dead, ice cold. All 4 are back to good health so far after 1/2hr under the light. I might try again sometime later but not with these chicks, these are my favorite breed, don't want to loose them after I waited almost a 9mos.

Shannon

Back
Top Bottom