Ideal Order -- Identify my X-tras??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jaypants, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Jaypants

Jaypants New Egg

Mar 2, 2008
    Anacortes, WA
    I've been reading this forum for quite awhile & finally joined myself!! Thanks to you all for your valuable info. I've received my chicks and there are 6 extras I can't identify. Cochins? I'll include pics (hope this works). I ordered 9, received 15. Pd insurance since I told them NO MALES & my order was under size. 2 were DOA (smothered in the corner of the box [​IMG] That happens on a smaller order, I know. Anyway...these 6 extras (my packing slip says 0 males included) must be hens, what kind? They have fur/feathers on legs & feet. One only has a little on the leg. Thanks for any help!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I see feathered legs so maybe a Cochin or Brahma?

Light Brahma Chicks:
    [​IMG]

Light Brahma Hen:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Feathering looks Brahma but the leg color looks off.

4. Jaypants

Jaypants New Egg

Mar 2, 2008
    Anacortes, WA
    Thanks! I think you're right. Hope they're good layers (from what I read they're just so-so in the dept.). We don't kill so, if nothing else, they'll be pretty girls![​IMG]

5. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Quote:Often legs lighten up as they get older. I know my orps do.

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    You can check out pix of our Mottled Cochins (bantams), when they were babies, here.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

7. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    If they are light brahmas - they will lay pretty good - we have 4 and they are really doing a great job, they lay a pinkish egg which is pretty next to the green ones I get from my EE's. one of my LB's laid a double yoker a few days ago.

Good luck with them they are cute little babies - sorry about the two you lost.

Julie

8. Texas Fluffy Feet

Texas Fluffy Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    Whatever they are they sure are cute! I have an order in to Ideal coming later this month. I paid the insurance for no males as well. Mine is a small order and if I get any extras I sure hope they are as cute as yours!

Lea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by