ideal outdoor temps for chicks

Chickymama0505

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
Maryland, USA
Hey everybody!,
So here in Maryland we are having a two day snow storm (even though spring started yesterday), and the way its going all this 12-20 inches of snow will start to melt tomorrow through weekend. Next sunday and monday temps will be in the low 50's, with each day getting higher and higher. I checked and its supposed to be in the low to mid 60's by mid next week. The night temps will be anywhere between low to mid 30's, to upper 30's low 40's. Now, my chicks are 4 weeks old tomorrow and are just about fully feathered. Do you think it is safe to say they will be ok if I put them out in their coop and outside starting next week? Or is it still too chilly?. They are very restless and ready to say the least to get outside. This past weekend when it was in the mid 50's during the day and the sun was warm I had them out in their run outside for a few hours to kind of introduce them to the outside. Needless to say they absolutely loved it!. Im thinking they will be ok next week, but just wanted all of your opinions. Thanks for any help you can give!!!!

Do you have heat source in their coop ?
You might want to refer to online guide or stop by any retailer selling chicks now for a pamphlet. Degrees per week reductions are pretty strict but depending on what you have them comfortable with now is relevant. Give more time in warm sunny afternoons ...if they ever return - this snow is no place for baby chicks to play!

If they are feathered, they don't need any extra heat indoors. So you can wean them off that by turning it off for increasing periods of time.

Putting them outside on pleasant days is good, even if it seems cool to you. Keep an eye on them and if they start huddling up, then it's time to bring them in.

Mine are about the same age. I have them in the coop in a crate that I cover at night. For the first few nights, I had a cardboard box they could get into as a huddle box.
That lasted a day lol, they didn't want it. Last night got down to about 30, I added an extra piece of fleece over the top and they did fine.

Make sure they are on dry bedding. Nothing makes ill or kills faster than wet. And wet with a wind or draft is a death sentence. But, if in the dry, with no drafts, a big towel or fleece etc over them will see them through.

Do you have heat source in their coop ?
You might want to refer to online guide or stop by any retailer selling chicks now for a pamphlet. Degrees per week reductions are pretty strict but depending on what you have them comfortable with now is relevant. Give more time in warm sunny afternoons ...if they ever return - this snow is no place for baby chicks to play!

Yes, I have been doing the heat reductions each week like your supposed too when you first buy them. Right now the chickens are at 65-70 degrees. Just about done with using the heat source!.

If they are feathered, they don't need any extra heat indoors. So you can wean them off that by turning it off for increasing periods of time.

Putting them outside on pleasant days is good, even if it seems cool to you. Keep an eye on them and if they start huddling up, then it's time to bring them in.

Mine are about the same age. I have them in the coop in a crate that I cover at night. For the first few nights, I had a cardboard box they could get into as a huddle box.
That lasted a day lol, they didn't want it. Last night got down to about 30, I added an extra piece of fleece over the top and they did fine.

Make sure they are on dry bedding. Nothing makes ill or kills faster than wet. And wet with a wind or draft is a death sentence. But, if in the dry, with no drafts, a big towel or fleece etc over them will see them through.

Great!!! Then it seems like I’m doing what I’m supposed too!. Ive been turning the heat off at different periods of time, although with the snow storm we had I did leave it on because of the temperature outside (the chickens are in my mud room and it’s drafty) but today will resume what I was doing before. Thanks you for your tips and help!!!

Back
Top Bottom