Ideal Poultry Langshans - Show Me Your Eggs!

It is my understanding that all the Langshans in the U.S. are the Croad type. The Modern Langshan and the German Langshan haven’t been imported here, that I’ve heard of.

https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/langshan
This is correct. Egg color for Langshans has always been brown. The "Croad = purple/plum egg" garbage is just people getting confused with bloom (and misinterpretation of an old quote) and as this thread shows, can change day to day, egg to egg. Focusing on egg color in this breed only leads to ruin. The value of the Langshan comes from their productivity and hardiness.

The value of the Langshan comes from their productivity and hardiness.
My first two black Langshans (from a show breeder) would have been 9 years old this spring. They died over the winter. Pretty pleased with that age.

I also had two that died who would have been 7. Those ones descended from chicks I got from MMcM. First time in 9 years that I have no Langshans. I’ve had a lot of different breeds of chickens, and a few I really love. But whenever anyone asks me what my favorite is, I always answer Langshans without any hesitation.

My first two black Langshans (from a show breeder) would have been 9 years old this spring. They died over the winter. Pretty pleased with that age.

I also had two that died who would have been 7. Those ones descended from chicks I got from MMcM. First time in 9 years that I have no Langshans. I’ve had a lot of different breeds of chickens, and a few I really love. But whenever anyone asks me what my favorite is, I always answer Langshans without any hesitation.
They really do make an impact. I’m down to my last 3 ( a Splash Male and two Black Hens) After some predator losses I shipped the remaining breeders I had to a friend until I can afford to make a large enough covered run (go figure after 28 years ranging during the day and no predator losses finally the biggest red tail I’ve ever seen started picking them off).

That trio is about 9 so doubt I’ll even get eggs, but did last year so who knows and even then if male is fertile! If not this will be the first year in 30 I don’t set any Langshan eggs. Not gonna lie, a little sad about it.

Someday I hope to work with White Langshans again too, every line I’ve found is very prone to ocular Merek’s aka grey eye. Some people vaccinate to avoid it, but I don’t vaccinate. Might have to break down and try some hatchery ones and see if I can work them up to snuff. I think the only hatchery left that has them is McMurray though.

They really do make an impact. I’m down to my last 3 ( a Splash Male and two Black Hens) After some predator losses I shipped the remaining breeders I had to a friend until I can afford to make a large enough covered run (go figure after 28 years ranging during the day and no predator losses finally the biggest red tail I’ve ever seen started picking them off).

That trio is about 9 so doubt I’ll even get eggs, but did last year so who knows and even then if male is fertile! If not this will be the first year in 30 I don’t set any Langshan eggs. Not gonna lie, a little sad about it.

Someday I hope to work with White Langshans again too, every line I’ve found is very prone to ocular Merek’s aka grey eye. Some people vaccinate to avoid it, but I don’t vaccinate. Might have to break down and try some hatchery ones and see if I can work them up to snuff. I think the only hatchery left that has them is McMurray though.
I ordered both black and white chicks from Murray McMurray to arrive in April.

I ordered both black and white chicks from Murray McMurray to arrive in April.
I'd be very curious to see your whites as they mature. Normally hatchery stock is very subpar, but...Murray McMurray does have 5 APA certified flocks with the White Langshans being one of them. (Others are Buff, Partridge and Silver Pencilled Plymouth Rocks and White Polish if I recall correctly.)

I'd be very curious to see your whites as they mature. Normally hatchery stock is very subpar, but...Murray McMurray does have 5 APA certified flocks with the White Langshans being one of them. (Others are Buff, Partridge and Silver Pencilled Plymouth Rocks and White Polish if I recall correctly.)
I can try to make a point to post photos of them here from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom