Ideal poultry order - Americana or EE?

biteme2134

Songster
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
GA
My Coop
My Coop
So I ordered some Ameraucana chicks from idealpoultry.com and I'm wondering if they are really Easter Eggers. From what I've read Ameraucana only lay blue eggs. The ones advertised seem to lay different colored eggs. What's your take?

Here's their description :

AMERAUCANAS

Ameraucanas, known as the "Easter Egg Breed", are a multicolored breed. They have beards, muffs and a normal tail with a tail head. They are often incorrectly called Araucanas, which have ear tuffs, are rumpless, and do not have a tail head which gives them a bunny tail appearance. Most of the chicks sold as Araucanas are really Ameraucanas, which are excellent, efficient producers of large eggs of many colors and shades including blue and green.

Standard weights at maturity are males-5 lbs. and hens-4 lbs.

Ya that is my thought. Which is OK but I do hatch my own. Can you hatch out Easter Eggers from am Easter egger on one side only? I was hoping to make EE from what I ordered

I've ordered from Ideal Poultry on a number of occasions, including their "Ameraucanas" and they are Easter Eggers, not true Ameraucanas. The only major hatchery that breeds true Ameraucanas is Meyer Hatchery. In addition to their EEs, they breed true Blue Ameraucanas. Whether or not you can hatch EEs from EEs is a matter of luck. The EE parent has both a blue gene egg and a brown gene egg. If the parent gives the blue gene egg to the offspring, you will get an EE. If they give the brown egg gene to the offspring, then the offspring will not be an EE.

Good info. That's what I was wondering was the genetics of it. I'd like to be able to hatch more green egg layers so that's nice to know I'll have probabaly a 50/50 shot

Back
Top Bottom