Ideal Poultry v.s. Meyer Hatchery

Eastern Idaho? Do you know what breeds you might want? There are several good breeders in this area. Dunlop hatchery is over near Boise--if you head over to that area ever, it would be cheaper than shipping.

I've ordered from Ideal and I'm happy with their birds. I will say it's best to order once it warms up (but not too warm)--I think my chicks last year had a bit too much shock coming to MT from Texas in March.

I have several breeds I would like. And Ideal seems to have a large assortment. Then there is there are the breeders around here that I know have beautiful birds, so I plan on in the spring getting some from them.

I know about Dunlap, and my dad goes over there every so often but they don't seem to have what I would like.

What I would probably end up doing is getting some from the breeders. Then get a paper from the feed stores and see what they will be getting. And then figure out what they won't have .

roll.png
Chicken math

Last edited:
Just ordered 25 assorted bantams from Ideal and my last batch was from them, I've been happy so far. My cornish games are really nice, and my silkies were not so pretty haha...but almost any hatchery silkie will be "ugly". What breeds are you looking for?

Just ordered 25 assorted bantams from Ideal and my last batch was from them, I've been happy so far. My cornish games are really nice, and my silkies were not so pretty haha...but almost any hatchery silkie will be "ugly". What breeds are you looking for?

Actually, I ordered some Black Silkies from Ideal several years ago, and they were very nice birds. I'm sure not show quality (although I'm no expert), but they had very nice hairlike feathers and nice walnut combs.

Silkies
Cochins (LF & bantam )
Brahmas (LF)
Lakevelder
EEs
Salmon Faverolles
Dorkings
Partridge Rocks
Exchequer Leghorn
I wanted a Buff Laced Polish but it would have to be a pullet
And Ideal doesn't have LF Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.

I was looking at other Bantams but I can't have multiple Roos.

And I've noticed that Ideal has some breeds I would like in the colors I would like.

Silkies
Cochins (LF & bantam )
Brahmas (LF)
Lakevelder
EEs
Salmon Faverolles
Dorkings
Partridge Rocks
Exchequer Leghorn
I wanted a Buff Laced Polish but it would have to be a pullet
And Ideal doesn't have LF Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.

I was looking at other Bantams but I can't have multiple Roos.

And I've noticed that Ideal has some breeds I would like in the colors I would like.
I recommend a breeder for the silkies, I have 1 surviving silkie(my others were strangled or eaten while I was at school) and he is the ugliest little thing I've laid eyes on. The cochins I've seen from ideal are really nice for hatchery stock. And the others you would be taking a chance on. With Ideal, you can only get sexed large fowl.

All their bantams are straight run(which I hate)and you wouldn't be able to order specific bantam breeds right now, because I really just wanted buff and black frizzle cochins with some light brahmas and they told me I couldn't get anything specific due to something along the lines of not enough hatched at this time of year, so I got assorted bantam special instead. I know for sure some of the large fowl are available, but it just depends. You can always check by making a fake checkout, and there will be a yellow box telling you if you can get them at that time or not. :( I was sorta disappointed that I couldn't get cochins last night.

If you wanna see what others received from them there is a great thread floating around here somewhere that people have posted pics of their stock on, its what got me to order. Of course I will whole heartedly recommend a good breeder for your silkies and maybe a the other breeds, if you're looking for show quality and breed quality. If not, have at it and make sure your ok with hatchery quality birds, and have fun!

I don't know if there is a silkie breeder around here. I'm going to have to do my research.

Okay thank you! I had found the thread for Meyer's it was really nice!

I am so glad you posted this thread. I have gotten chicks from meyers and they were OK. Some had crooked toes though. I was looking at Ideal too. My two hatchery choices. But Ideal charges $1 for each breed. It could get costly

The pics I've seen for Meyer's are nice looking.

I actually went and compared other hatcheries' prices to Ideal, and one dollar would make them about the same price. Probably less still.

Back
Top Bottom