Ideal Red Broilers* chic pics *

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kooltex, Nov 24, 2009.

1. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    I have 30 chicks arriving tomorrow. I have always raised white cornish cross, but wanted to try these Red Broilers. Anyone ever raised these? If so what is your experiences, and opinions?

Chicks r here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry 'bout the pic quality on this one , couldn't get the flash to go off.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. Misty Oak Ranch

Misty Oak Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Bluefield
    I've never heard of red broilers. Are you referring to Dark Cornish? Do you have a picture?

3. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Personally I have ordered from Meyers for the cornish broilers and had wonderful success in spring with 9/11 lbs dressed weight and tasty!!!! But on the red broilers (cornish cross) they grow as slow as a regular RIR in my book..... their necks must be fragile as I have found several off them dead with broken necks from fighting (no preditors) FEED them lots and plan on at least 16 weeks to get any meet instead of 10/12 weeks

I finally got one out of a batch of 25 to weigh 9/10 lbs live with a huge breast.... I am keeping "monster" for "breeding back" to a flock of white rock hens, white RIR hens, white red laced cornish, and a few of the red broiler hens......Now I K-n-o-w that I will not get a "cornish broiler" this is to have back yard meat birds that will be I am sure at 20 weeks about 10 lbs live weight. I do not want to keep buying the white cornish cross... they grow faster and bigger than any other breed

The white cornish cross I got from Meyer grew faster than the white cornish cross from Ideal.... (they were spring, these are fall...? maybe the difference? but I do all of my business here as Ideal is a few hours away and I have great luck on egg bords.

Quote:

4. kooltex

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    Yeah I figured they would be slower growing, I don't mind that. I always seem to have a hard time with the regular Cornish cross, leg weakness, Asites (SP?), falling over dead! Even with feed restriction. I have never bought from meyer's though.

I got my chicks! They are stocky 'lil things! Can't wait to see how they do. I was planning on keeping a roo and some hen's as well from this bunch. I have some white rocks I want to breed to. Just for fun.

So before I get a bunch of post: Yes they are a Hybrid and won't breed true.

I know they won't be CornishX

So, again just for fun, and to see what I get.

I'll post a pic of the little "bulldogs" here in a bit.

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    They look delicious.

6. kooltex

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    Quote:Hehe....I was thinking the same thing!! They are 'lil chunks! Pics don't due justice, but they are big for 3 day olds. I've had Cornish x before, and they weren't as big as these guys, those must have been some BIG eggs. I wish I had a scale, they are heavy 'lil fluffies.

7. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    me too ... I kept the red broiler hens. (real plump looking) to breed back to dark cornish and white rock... even if they are not "true" cornish broiler cross.... the offspring should get big and tasty. I am betting about 10/12 lbs before butcher.

Also I have lost lots of the cornish cross about 20 from "unknown reasons" about one every few days......... maybe over feeding too much grass? cracked corn? feed? . They are in a 100 foot x 16 foot covered (lighted and HEATED) coop run. But last spring I had much better luck. good luck with yours too!

Quote:

8. kooltex

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    Quote:
    Hey thanks! Let me know how those offspring turn out. Should be some nice birds.

9. Del Cielo Chickens

Del Cielo Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    High Desert of CA
    Hey all!

I raised red broilers from Ideal last spring. They were nice birds, acted like and looked like chickens and very hardy. I'm not sure if I will raise them again though. I grew mine out for 9 weeks and they were small. The biggest chicken was 5lbs! The breast meat was very tasty but very small, not at all like CX. I started out with 50 and ended with 45.

10. TarzantheChickenMan

TarzantheChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    my brother in law raised them last year they kept them for 16weeks the biggest was just over 6 lbs
    most were 5ish lbs
    they ate about twice the feed as the 50 CX he did this spring but they were the CXs were 6-7 lbs at 9 weeks
    on a positive note the reds are much tastier then the CXs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by