Ideas for a Chicken Booth at a Preparedness Fair?

spiffwilkie

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Memphis, TN
My church is having a preparedness fair, and I've been tasked with creating a small chicken table. The fair isn't specifically for emergency prep, but for financial prep, health info, food storage, etc., etc.
I am planning on taking a couple of my girls to put in a small pen while were there, but I would like to put together some info on backyard chickens.

Some of the things I have thought about:
  • Know your local ordinances (I would have info specific to the cities around here)
  • How many do you need/Can you have? (Space requirements, etc.)
  • Feeding and Watering
  • Shelter (Coop requirments, types)
  • Predators/Pests
  • How to be a good chicken neighbor (i.e. remember they can be LOUD, they poop A LOT, etc.)
  • What to expect with egg production
  • What types can you/should you get
  • Do they make good pets (as opposed to just raising for eggs/meat)

So, does anyone have any more good topics that I should cover? Has anyone else done this before and have information already compiled?

I don't want to get super-detailed, but I also don't want to paint a picture that, "chickens are glorious beings that never need any maintenance, and will just pop out eggs at my every whim!" I want to be realistic about ownership and what it takes.

The crowd is going to be 99% urban/suburban. Not so many country folk.

Thanks!
-Steve

Good start. The Laws would be the important one....wouldn't want someone to have to get rid of because of laws.

Back
Top Bottom