Ideas for a Chicken Booth at a Preparedness Fair?

spiffwilkie

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Memphis, TN
(Sorry mods, this is a crosspost. I don't think the place I previously posted was the most productive. Please delete if needed)

My church is having a preparedness fair, and I've been tasked with creating a small chicken table. The fair isn't specifically for emergency prep, but for financial prep, health info, food storage, etc., etc.
I am planning on taking a couple of my girls to put in a small pen while were there, but I would like to put together some info on backyard chickens.

Some of the things I have thought about:
  • Know your local ordinances (I would have info specific to the cities around here)
  • How many do you need/Can you have? (Space requirements, etc.)
  • Feeding and Watering
  • Shelter (Coop requirments, types)
  • Predators/Pests
  • How to be a good chicken neighbor (i.e. remember they can be LOUD, they poop A LOT, etc.)
  • What to expect with egg production
  • What types can you/should you get
  • Do they make good pets (as opposed to just raising for eggs/meat)

So, does anyone have any more good topics that I should cover? Has anyone else done this before and have information already compiled?

I don't want to get super-detailed, but I also don't want to paint a picture that, "chickens are glorious beings that never need any maintenance, and will just pop out eggs at my every whim!" I want to be realistic about ownership and what it takes.

The crowd is going to be 99% urban/suburban. Not so many country folk.

Thanks!
-Steve

I think you about covered it. You might list where they can get chickens if they want them and where they can buy the feed. My brother got 10 leghorns and then called me and asked me to bring him some chicken feed because he lives kind of in the city and had no idea where to buy feed.

I think you about covered it. You might list where they can get chickens if they want them and where they can buy the feed. My brother got 10 leghorns and then called me and asked me to bring him some chicken feed because he lives kind of in the city and had no idea where to buy feed.
That's funny. It's amazing the things that you don't think of heading into these projects.

Maybe list some useful meds to have on hand.Some bluekote,hemorrhoid cream for prolapse,sevin for bugs,antibios,and wormers.Oh and to have a dog crate in case you ever need to seperate a hen for a short time.

How about what to look for when buying chickens, from a health standpoint - how to avoid sick or bug-infested birds, and how to handle them when you first bring them home to avoid having your flock decimated by disease.

Back
Top Bottom