Ideas for a Small Backyard Coop?

Our coop was inspired by the Purina plan posted here on BYC. The siding is just pallet wood and the plywood was salvaged. And we had everything else left over from other projects. The coop cost almost nothing - the fencing was about $200 (replaced the chicken wire shown in picture) (P.S. Hawkeye, that's a great coop!)

Thank you! Yours too!! I love seeing what people can do out of recycled materials. I have a new found respect! It takes a lot more work to get it together and a lot more creativity....
wink.png

I am building a coop right now using whatever materials I can get for free. I brought home 5 pallets yesterday and laid down 4 for the floor, need 4 for each wall now, I got 4 full sheets of laminate hardboard off freecycle, got an exterior door off freecycle, and found 2 other people local with old downed outbuildings/bran that I can get materials from for free as well. I will have to buy nails/screws but thats it probably. I am building approx a 6'x6' coop

This is the floor layout. I still need to level it and attach the 4 pallets together, but this is roughly where it will sit and the floor dimensions. .

The yard is small, so the coop would have to be, too. Basically, we just want something small and tidy-looking, that would be able to be built for $100-150 or so.
I'm not sure if a run is necessary, as I don't really know a lot about chicken housing. :)

Thanks everyone for all the ideas! :)

I would consider giving you're chickens a place scratch and dig. Chickens are hardwired to dig, looking for things they've dug up. It's how they have made there living through the eons. Taking that away from them leads to strange behaviors. You will see many post on this forum about why chickens run are a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom