Ideas for bushes around run?

NHchicks

Songster
May 13, 2010
New Hampshire
I was thinking bushes bordering the outside of the run might be a good rain and wind break, and if it's edible for the chickens, all the better, if they can peck thru 1/2" mesh wire. Even a vine might be good.

Has anyone does this, and any suggestions?

I like this idea - I currently have lilac trees in the run itself, but something shrubby around the outside would be nice. Maybe a better question is, is there anything that shouldn't be used?

I'm planning on planting some hardy kiwi vines around our run once its finished. I'll prune on one side of the fence and the chickens can prune the other
tongue.png
(from what I read, they require a LOT of pruning).

It would be easier to give planting suggestions if we knew where you were, or at least your zone

I have a grape vine one one side of my run, and hops on the other side--to keep both the wine and beer drinking chickens happy

New Mexico zone 6 to 8 not sure where you are in that??? Seems like a mix of grapes or kiwi although kiwi can be invasive if you are not careful and some lower plantings of loropetalums would be REALLY pretty!

edited to add loropetalums do not provide any food resources for chickens but they are evergreen and hold their folage all year and put on pretty blooms randomly a couple times during the year. They are really beautiful.

Last edited:
Just had another thought...blueberries they have pretty folage and some selection offer fall color I don't think any of keep folage over winter. Or raspberry or blackberry they would have the added benefit of carrying thorns, may keep some critters and people AWAY! Raspberries and blackberries can also become invasive so you have to be careful as well.

A bush cherry,sand cherry ,Nanking cherry bush.
I have some chickens jump up as high as they can reach to get them.
Then you can use them too.
Then there is the Rose of Sharon for pretty. Hard to kill out. Mine lay under them.

My birds eat the lorapetalum up as far as they can reach. I did not mention any choices, because the posting did not list a location.

What grows well here in South Carolina might not suit in New Hampshire, for example.

Chris

New Mexico zone 6 to 8 not sure where you are in that??? Seems like a mix of grapes or kiwi although kiwi can be invasive if you are not careful and some lower plantings of loropetalums would be REALLY pretty!

edited to add loropetalums do not provide any food resources for chickens but they are evergreen and hold their folage all year and put on pretty blooms randomly a couple times during the year. They are really beautiful.

I think I'm the only New Mexican in the thread, but not the thread starter (NH based on username?). Hardy kiwi is hardy to zone 4. Looks like NH is mostly zone 4.

I am going to take that loropetalum suggestion though! I need something to make a "wall" between my yard & the closest neighbor. I don't want anything that blooms too much (too many wasps as it is!) and looks good all winter. I'm not a big fan of most evergreens, but this looks good!

Back
Top Bottom