Ideas for coop made of pallets

carrie2017

Chirping
May 20, 2022
Virginia
We are picking up Pallets someone is giving us this Friday and my husband wants to make another coop out of them. Does anyone on here have a Coop made out of pallets that would share pictures so I can have some inspiration for ours l. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

The search function is a bit tricky to use so I did a search for you in re: pallet coops in the coop article section:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...ild_categories]=1&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

No matter what you build it from, a chicken coop needs to meet the appropriate criteria to meet chickens' needs:

The Usual Guidelines
For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
Where, in general, are you? Climate matters, especially when it comes to housing.

If you put your location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice when you ask questions. :)

The search function is a bit tricky to use so I did a search for you in re: pallet coops in the coop article section:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...ild_categories]=1&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

No matter what you build it from, a chicken coop needs to meet the appropriate criteria to meet chickens' needs:

The Usual Guidelines
For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
Where, in general, are you? Climate matters, especially when it comes to housing.

If you put your location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice when you ask questions. :)
I will definitely update my location in my profile I didn't realize there was an article search area. Still completely learning this site. I'm in Virginia we have the size down ( well we are building a good bit larger so we have room as our flock grows) I'm mainly looking for design ideas as I have no idea what I would like it to look like haha

If you're in the hot and steamy part of Virginia you might consider an Open Air style design (essentially a roofed wire box with a 3-sided shelter on one end). If in the mountains a more solid design would probably be more suitable.

I used to live in the NC mountains and the wind SCREAMED from November through April. Don't know if the VA mountains are the same.

I currently live in the steamy part of NC and find that I need at least 2-3 times the recommended minimums for ventilation or DEEP shade to keep a coop under 100F on a 90F day.

I didn't realize there was an article search area. Still completely learning this site.

It's not very intuitive -- took me several years to figure out how to make it give me the results I wanted. :eek:

I am in the mountains the wind isn't to bad but when it storms it can be. It does get warm but only in the very peak of summer time. I think I will go with the more solid just because winters can be crazy but add a few extra ventilation spots for summer time. Best of both worlds right. Thanks for the tip to have permanent ventilation near there heads while roosting my husband's adding that in his construction plan as we speak. He said what was suppose to be like 4 birds is already a dozen and turning into a chicken village already in a few weeks 😂

Back
Top Bottom