Ideas for keeping chickens off our porch?

MadChickensVT

Songster
11 Years
Sep 5, 2011
Middlebury, Vermont
Our 16 chickens sometimes like to hang out on our front porch. This results in poop getting tracked into the house if we're not careful. It's not practical to fence/gate. Does anybody know of some way to scare them away, like a scarecrow, or similar? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I had this problem. It was such a pain to clean twice a day. I no longer have the problem, I guess I trained my chickens. I would spray them with the hose to shoo them, I had to watch a lot and tired to catch them as soon as they got on the porch. I kept the hose close to the door and would shoot them with it. By doing this my younger chickens never been shot by the hose and never get on the porch, its like they been told by the elder chickens its a no no.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Preventative measures, or build them an enclosed run. We had to put a bigger, more permanant run up for our chickens. I don't mind chicken poop on my porch so much, but I can't stand it on my carpet
sickbyc.gif

I hear your pain. I have the same problem with my porch AND they were also pooping in the garage and eating the cat food which is in the garage. I have not done anything about the porch "yet", but HERE was my garage solution. The same could easily be used for the porch. It's pretty effective. There have been a few times where they have flown over it, but 98% of the time, it's not worth their trouble and they just walk on by.

Good Luck!!

~Kelly~
My Country Chronicles Blog

This is why we're building a run for our previously free-range girls. That and the flowerbeds are taking too much of a beating. Tying the dog to the porch did cut down on the poo, but made for a very unhappy dog.

I too have the problem of chickens on the porch and deck. They understand "get down," when I yell it from anywhere including inside the house. The problem is though they understand, they don't care. They'll get down when told, but go back up the moment they think it is safe. It's like some kind of chicken button pushing behavior, or some kind of prank - they take turns running up on the deck, pooping, then running away. The only thing they can't do is ring the door bell.
A piece of fencing across the steps is the only way I can keep them off.

Last edited:
My chickens hang out on my porch every evening. They like to drink out of the dogs water bowl and sleep on their bed. I don't have to worry about chicken poop, because my dog think chicken nuggets are the best thing since... well, chicken
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom