Ideas for playing with 2 week old chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by poochiepoochie, Jul 31, 2013.

1. poochiepoochie

poochiepoochie New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Hello, I am new to raising chickens. Ours are two weeks old. I have heard they make great pets. We initially got them for eggs but now, we are more interested in having them be part of the family. What are some ways to play with them and get them used to us. Also any ideas on how to get my children involved with the chicks safely. They are 3 & 5 and very excited for the chicks but I'm concerned for the chicks safety. Thanks

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, poochiepoochie, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I'm not sure how great of a pet they make if you are looking for something that behaves like a dog or cat. They can be friendly and & docile to a point. Some even like to be held and sit on your lap. Just giving them lots of treats and slow movements and quiet voices help tame to them down. Be careful with your kids - the very thing that makes chickens cuddly can make them a menace. When they get friendly, with close proximity they will sometimes peck out of curiosity - wouldn't want one of your kids to get pecked in the eye. Good luck to you.

3. poochiepoochie

poochiepoochie New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Thank you Redsox! Yeah, no it wouldn't be good to have on of my daughters with an eye patch. Lol. I've given the chicks scrambled eggs and egg yolks so far. They love those. We have also let them sit in our compost box outside for about a half hour. Our polish seemed to getit but our ri reds did not. Thanks again

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Children shouldn't hold chicks up close to their face, they are attracted to shiny things like eyeballs, jewelry, nail polish etc. It's also best to have young children sit on the ground when playing with chicks. Chicks are fast, fragile and unpredictable plus they don't bounce when they are dropped.

Some breeds are more inclined to be house pets, silkies are generally docile, seramas were kept as house pets in Malaysia and take confinement well.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by