Ideas for protecting against hawks WITHOUT covering your run

Twice in the past 2 months, I've walked outside to find a hawk scoping out my flock. The first time, the hawk was sitting on a low hanging branch between my duck and chicken pens. It did not attack, but was just sitting there watching. As soon as I came outside, it flew away. The 2nd incident was a little over a month later. In the 2nd incident, a hawk was sitting high up in a very large oak tree between my barn & coop. On that day, I had actually let the flock out to free range so I had chickens scattered around the acre in front of the barn. When I came out, the hawk started screeching. Several of my girls (not all) began running to the coop for cover. I swear it sounded like a 2nd hawk "responded" to the screeches, but I could not find where it was coming from. After a few seconds, the hawk left and did not return.

I've been nervous as I know it is only a matter of time before a hawk attempts to attack my girls. I live on the edges of a very small town. So kind of a mix of "town" and "country." I think my location has played a role in lowering the number of potential hawks who stick to more rural areas. However, clearly it is not foolproof. My chicken run is rather large....maybe 35' x 150'? I have two goats who have their own shed but share the same chicken yard. My backyard also aligns to one side of the chicken yard and my duck pen. I have a large Husky/Great Pyrenees who acts as a deterrent for hawks (and other critters) when she is outside, but that isn't all the time.

Given the size of my chicken yard, along with the fact that I have some giant oak trees that provide necessary shade to a good portion of the yard, I cannot/will not cover it from above. So I am looking for other ideas/options that can help persuade any potential hawks that my girls are not worth the effort. While it would be GREAT to hear options that will work around the entire pasture in front of my barn (approx 1 acre) where the girls free range the most, I'm mostly focused on the chicken yard itself. If I let the girls out to free range, I'm USUALLY outside with them although not always.

I've seen some people use old CDs. Does that really work? What else do you use? What have you tried that DOESN'T work?
Chickadees and redwing black birds among other small birds are great at chasing off eagles and hawks. Keep a bird feeder full near your chickens for chickadees and a hay field tall for red wing black birds. We usually rotate our field cutting till the neighbors corn field gets tall enough to house the black birds. And our fencing on the chicken yard and duck yards (not their free range pasture, their small covered yards for inclement weather) is just barely big enough to allow some finches and chickadees in who share some of our poultry feed helps keep them around and they clean up the spills my chickens and ducks don’t. It’s a win win. We live close to 3 major rivers just south of the rivers freeze line so have a lot of hawks and eagles year round but have only lost one young chicken in our first year to them because of doing this. Also for where you chickens free range make sure their is tall brush, bushes or evergreen trees the chickens can hid under when they see the raptor. I think the spruce trees are their favorites cause the prickles protect them and the branches come all the way to the ground, but they also will hide sometimes in the happy chicken pasture I plant for them (turnips, parsnips, clover, wild peas, radishes, orchard grass, millet and a few other things) It’s about an acre and provides good dense cover and good snacks too.

Twice in the past 2 months, I've walked outside to find a hawk scoping out my flock. The first time, the hawk was sitting on a low hanging branch between my duck and chicken pens. It did not attack, but was just sitting there watching. As soon as I came outside, it flew away. The 2nd incident was a little over a month later. In the 2nd incident, a hawk was sitting high up in a very large oak tree between my barn & coop. On that day, I had actually let the flock out to free range so I had chickens scattered around the acre in front of the barn. When I came out, the hawk started screeching. Several of my girls (not all) began running to the coop for cover. I swear it sounded like a 2nd hawk "responded" to the screeches, but I could not find where it was coming from. After a few seconds, the hawk left and did not return.

I've been nervous as I know it is only a matter of time before a hawk attempts to attack my girls. I live on the edges of a very small town. So kind of a mix of "town" and "country." I think my location has played a role in lowering the number of potential hawks who stick to more rural areas. However, clearly it is not foolproof. My chicken run is rather large....maybe 35' x 150'? I have two goats who have their own shed but share the same chicken yard. My backyard also aligns to one side of the chicken yard and my duck pen. I have a large Husky/Great Pyrenees who acts as a deterrent for hawks (and other critters) when she is outside, but that isn't all the time.

Given the size of my chicken yard, along with the fact that I have some giant oak trees that provide necessary shade to a good portion of the yard, I cannot/will not cover it from above. So I am looking for other ideas/options that can help persuade any potential hawks that my girls are not worth the effort. While it would be GREAT to hear options that will work around the entire pasture in front of my barn (approx 1 acre) where the girls free range the most, I'm mostly focused on the chicken yard itself. If I let the girls out to free range, I'm USUALLY outside with them although not always.

I've seen some people use old CDs. Does that really work? What else do you use? What have you tried that DOESN'T work?
Use predator tape. I hang it on tree limbs, fences, everywhere. Get it at amazon.

Chickadees and redwing black birds among other small birds are great at chasing off eagles and hawks. Keep a bird feeder full near your chickens for chickadees and a hay field tall for red wing black birds. We usually rotate our field cutting till the neighbors corn field gets tall enough to house the black birds. And our fencing on the chicken yard and duck yards (not their free range pasture, their small covered yards for inclement weather) is just barely big enough to allow some finches and chickadees in who share some of our poultry feed helps keep them around and they clean up the spills my chickens and ducks don’t. It’s a win win. We live close to 3 major rivers just south of the rivers freeze line so have a lot of hawks and eagles year round but have only lost one young chicken in our first year to them because of doing this. Also for where you chickens free range make sure their is tall brush, bushes or evergreen trees the chickens can hid under when they see the raptor. I think the spruce trees are their favorites cause the prickles protect them and the branches come all the way to the ground, but they also will hide sometimes in the happy chicken pasture I plant for them (turnips, parsnips, clover, wild peas, radishes, orchard grass, millet and a few other things) It’s about an acre and provides good dense cover and good snacks too.
We have lots of chickadees, for sure. However, I don't think I've ever seen Red Wing Blackbirds around our property. I grew up in the north and saw them all the time so I'm very familiar with the bird.... I have a field behind my pasture that has a lot of tall grass and brush which belongs to my neighbor. Never seen a RWBB back there ever. Of course, we have a lot of foxes and stray cats back there which might explain why....

I do have a lot of places for my chickens to hide while they are out free ranging. We have well over a dozen giant oaks around our house, pasture, and the chicken yard. Pretty much everywhere the chickens free range. We cut down low hanging branches a lot and I allow those limbs to be piled up in various spots to dry out before we cut them into firewood. Those piles make great places for the chickens to hide as well as look for bugs. They also like to hide under my horse trailer, flat bed trailer, in brush along the tree line and so on. I think our threat is much higher in the seasons when the leaves & brush have died back and don't provide any cover. This is when I really have to get creative and give the flock a place to hide. I'm thinking of using some throw away pallets to make some hideouts, etc...

We have lots of chickadees, for sure. However, I don't think I've ever seen Red Wing Blackbirds around our property. I grew up in the north and saw them all the time so I'm very familiar with the bird.... I have a field behind my pasture that has a lot of tall grass and brush which belongs to my neighbor. Never seen a RWBB back there ever. Of course, we have a lot of foxes and stray cats back there which might explain why....

I do have a lot of places for my chickens to hide while they are out free ranging. We have well over a dozen giant oaks around our house, pasture, and the chicken yard. Pretty much everywhere the chickens free range. We cut down low hanging branches a lot and I allow those limbs to be piled up in various spots to dry out before we cut them into firewood. Those piles make great places for the chickens to hide as well as look for bugs. They also like to hide under my horse trailer, flat bed trailer, in brush along the tree line and so on. I think our threat is much higher in the seasons when the leaves & brush have died back and don't provide any cover. This is when I really have to get creative and give the flock a place to hide. I'm thinking of using some throw away pallets to make some hideouts, etc...
Keep in mind when you consider coverage to think in terms of what the chickens can use and the hawks can’t. Deciduous trees (oaks) provide hawks coverage to sit and watch and wait to swoop. Conifers if the branches go all the way to the ground provide a protective spiky tent to hide in. My wind break of spice and firs is perfect. ‘Mine also love my monstrous wild rose shrubs as the can find bugs and hide from predators in them. Both offer year round protection. They do go under other shrubs too but perfer the ones with thorns or full coverage to the ground but with a hollowed center like a tent. As for man made mine do go under our canoe trailer and RV but not our flat bed. No idea why. The also like under the porch and stables a lot. They don’t like the wood pile but I think that’s cause the cats hang out there hunting mice, though my cats have never bothered the chickens and will some times sneak in the coops and sleep without bothering the chickens. They also love the neighbors corn field once it dries but don’t bother to eat the corn. Mostly hunt grasshoppers and hide from the hawks that are active in the fall in our area. But they won’t go in the wheat, oats or rye fields but will eat the grasses and seeds along the outside or if we pick it for them. Hope that helps. Again we have only lost 1 to a hawks or other bird of prey despite having many. That was 5 years ago. Our biggest loss comes from coons then skunks. But foxes, coyotes, possums and weasels are also present. We have to lock them in tight at night. We are 2 miles from one major river, a mile from another slightly smaller and less than 20 from the Mississippi. Predators are a fact of life for us.

Last edited:
A word of caution about nets.... I've had my nets up for around 3 months now? 4 months maybe? I've had several chickens who have tried to "jump the fence" from the outside while free ranging and get stuck in the nets. Until today, I've never had any of them seriously injured because of the nets. I've always managed to untangle them and release them just fine.

However, this morning I let my chickens out to free range in the morning like I do most days. We left for church around 9:15 AM and returned around Noon. I changed clothes and went out to the coop with the intention of cleaning it. I noticed one of my young chickens caught in the net and hanging upside down. She was not moving. As soon as I touched her body, I knew she was dead. :( She was not stiff yet. I have no idea how long she was hanging upside down but it couldn't have been more than 3 hours at the worst, likely less. She had no wounds at all. I have no idea what would have scared her to drive her over the fence. She was only 6 months old. My best guess is that she over-exhausted herself struggling in the net in 90+ degree weather.

I'm pretty bummed out about losing her. She was the first egg I ever hatched in my incubator. 😭

So sorry this happened! I changed my reaction from Sad to Informative. It is sad, but something people need to know. Thank you for sharing. :hugs

I have trees in my pens with good heavy duty netting covering all of my pens. I have had birds get on the netting but never actually get caught in it. I think it was a freak accident. Most of the time it's the young birds. I pretty much have my netting so the birds can't get on it which is rare a bird will get out and get on the netting.
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg
IMG_20200315_191806.jpg

Back
Top Bottom