Ideas For Saving Money On Feed?

ravenvalor

Songster
11 Years
Aug 1, 2008
Hello Friends,

Can anyone please suggest how I may save money on chicken feed.
I am currently feeding them Dumor Poultry Layer (leaving a feeder with them always). I am also giving them about 16oz of Purina Scratch Grains every morning for the entire flock of 9. There are not any other animals eating the feed because I keep a good eye out on them. Is there a recipe for making my own and saving money?

Thanks for all the help.
Jim

i give my chickens plate scrapings meat and all... and I also allow them to free range on bugs and grass... if they are eating other things they wont eat as much feed.. and as long as things are balanced you should have no issues.. and besides chickens eating spaghetti is funner then heck!

Yeah but...
Same problem here. Also desert which means not much foraging (except Llama droppings and scorpions) and small family with dogs and cats where not much table scraps make it to the chickens. Food prices keep going up. No feed mill anywhere near. Local stores won't give away non-sellable food. Looking for an alternative also
roll.png
. There has got to be a way!

How for example could I find a feed mill that makes affordable mixes and then buy a truckload with fellow local bycers once a month?

Could you grow your own mealworms and roaches? There's a little investment, but it can supplement their insect diet if you're limited by your property type.

Quote:
I already do but the chichen math has me up to nearly 70 chickens
big_smile.png
. That is a LOT of mealworms to make a dent
roll.png

Grow your own?
wink.png
I know most people don't have much room, but growing even food you yourself normally eat and sharing some supply with the chickens always helps.

If you have an acre or more, you can always try a couple small crops though. Sunflowers, corn, wheat, barley, oats, quinoa, amaranth, peas, whatever you choose.

The mealworms look really do-able! I think I'll try that once we get a little further into fall and I'm stuck inside more.

Any more ideas?

Zucchini is easy to grow and if you pick it it will keep producing all year. You can feed them the flowers as well, though they don't usually eat them. Also, if you can find a feed mill and buy feed straight from them it may be cheaper then buying brands - That is what I do. Winter squash are great, the seeds act as wormer and the flesh can be consumed by people, feeding the leftover rinds and extras straight too the birds, and they also keep well. Also pasturing reduces what my birds eat by about 3/8. (Not just layers but breeders and young ones too.)

Check out the Alternative Feeding thread - some ideas on there. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=567646

Sprouting
grain also enhances it's nutritional content, and the birds like it more. Check out Harvey Ussery's site - http://www.themodernhomestead.us/ - cool guy, I've met him. He has some very neat ideas! Can't wait to read his book!

MW

Back
Top Bottom