Ideas for something similar to plexiglass

hayley3

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
I am creating a wind/rain barrier that is see through and was going to use plexiglass until I realized that because of Covid, plexiglass has become the new gold because it's being used as a sneeze barrier, and totally not affordable.
I was wanting 1/8th inch so I could hand cut it but I don't want to pay $150 for a sheet of plexiglass. (I forgot to say I need something that I can hang so it's not there all the time)

I am also looking for something to block the view of my ducks so they don't harrass the chickens. Something I can cut into 2 ft high x 8 ft sections. I was thinking linoleum but they don't sell that anymore.

I'm just hoping there is some material I don't know about.

Last edited:
Not really like plexi glass (at all) but wind breaks usually have holes in them - the idea is to reduce the breeze rather than try and stop it, something like these. I guess it would be fairly easy to attach it to a frame to hang.

1607440094078.png

Not really like plexi glass (at all) but wind breaks usually have holes in them - the idea is to reduce the breeze rather than try and stop it, something like these. I guess it would be fairly easy to attach it to a frame to hang.

View attachment 2441039
That is a great idea but so far I'm only finding it for commercial use.
I could also use that on my chain link fencing to block the wind on the west side. Would be perfect.

That is a great idea but so far I'm only finding it for commercial use.
I could also use that on my chain link fencing to block the wind on the west side. Would be perfect.

Sorry, I'm in the UK so possibly not as available where you are, but here it's in every garden centre. I'm sure someone will post something :)

Here's some options depending on your budget and aesthetic needs!

Old (or new) polycarbonate greenhouse panels are great, let light through, semi see through but blur shapes, generate and hold solar heat, block wind. The thinner stuff is easily cut by hand. Thicker stuff cuts easy with a jigsaw. This is my favorite DIY material on the farm. it can also look very nice depending on how you put it up.

For a sight block in a jiffy, I have used both vinyl flooring sheets hung up and the plastic panels that go over fluorescent light bulbs on the ceiling.

Fabric or shower curtains can also work pretty well too actually as a short term solution. It'll cut down on wind, easy to hang, cheap to buy used, and will channel the water. Standard fabric will let some water through, but will still funnel a lot of it downwards along the fabric. A shower curtain against chicken wire can hold up shockingly long and work quite well.

Back
Top Bottom