ideas need for what to keep 8 week old chicks in pics helpful.....

Eggstra New

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Springport, Michigan
I have some ~8 week old chicks. They've out grown their brooder, but aren't big enough yet to go in with the big girls. They are still about 1/4- 1/2 the size of them. Here's what I was thinking of doing. I made a fence inside the big girls run for the chicks they can not get at each other but they can see each other. For the chicks temporary coop I was thinking of using one of those huge dog carriers. The all plastic kind except for the vents at the top and the grate door. I think since it will be inside two fences nothing will be able to get at them at night. I will keep it away from the sides so no arms can reach through the vent holes. What do you all think of this idea? I'm trying not to have to build something else because they'll be able to go in the regular coop soon, just trying to figure something to get us by. These are the first chicks I've raised so still trying to figure it all out.

I think that's a great idea. It's also good because then the older chickens will get used to seeing the younger chicks, so the transition is easier when you remove the fence from the babies. Good thinkin'!

Sharon

thumbsup.gif

I have three 9 week old chicks that I put in with two adults every day. they are removed at night and brought indoors. We have been doing this for the last 2 or 3 weeks. They get along fine and sort of hang out in their own little group during the day. they are slowly starting to spend time with the Adult Roo. The Hen is broody right now so we will not know how well she gets along with them for another week or so.

Back
Top Bottom