Ideas needed for meat bird management during the fast and right before processing

jenvoris

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2015
Hello, Meat Poultry People,

This query is for you. I am closing in the the date when I process my first chickens. I feel pretty confident in the processing steps involved in dispatching and cleaning the birds. The grey area for me is the several hours holding time before processing.

Would any of you seasoned chicken processors comment on how you humanely collect and hold your birds for the fast prior to the slaughter? Do you remove the bird from their area to a holding area? What do you use to keep the birds in for this part of the process? Is there a particular poultry box you use? Do you pull them out the night before and place them in a holding pen so it is easier to collect them?

I know this is a lot of questions. I have researched chicken processing but not much goes into the specifics of this part of the chicken's processing. It is my goal to keep them as calm as possible prior to their death.

FYI, I have 40 FRs who will be 10 weeks the end of May. My plan is to process 10 of the larger birds on my first processing day. If I can't get through that number I will start again on another day. Lighter birds will be processed last. I am saving 1 rooster and several pullets to keep as a starter flock. (I am hoping that I have the guts to do this again because I REALLY like chicken!)

Any ideas you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for any advice you can give.

Sincerely,

Jennifer
Grants Pass, OR

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom