Ideas needed to figure out how to cover top of run

Google Memphis Net, they have tons of netting products and pretty decent prices. Everything from bird netting to monofilament gill nets. Our old coop back home was covered in used Set Nets with the monofilament line and nothing ever got though!

Not sure if I can convince hubby to run wire over top. I understand perfectly what you are saying and I think that is probably the best idea. The wire could be connected from the coop to the back of the garage. Use the net to deal with the tree. We hit snags trying to run the skirt of hardware cloth around the bottom yesterday so we aren't ready to deal with the top yet today.
sad.png
Always seems as if it is 2 steps forward and three back. If I can convince to use wire over top would the chicken wire I bought work? I bought it before I realized it would be useless for fencing so now I have several rolls. Hubby says the pen is actually 45' x 32'. The tree creates a visual that makes it look narrow.
smile.png
Thank you everyone for all the help and lynnehd for the wonderful pics!
So I went back to your initial post. At that point, you mentioned that you had purchased netting, but weren't sure how to attach with tree in the middle. And that you were worried mainly about daytime hawks,eagles. (Assuming chickens would be locked up in secure coop at night?).
If that's the case, then you could use the netting alone, or the chicken wire + netting around the tree. Not secure against raccoons, etc., but more than secure against daytime aerial predators.

(Making the top secure against ALL predators would involve adding a framework over the top and using 1/2 " hardware mesh screwed on. But it does not sound as it that is your goal).

Assuming you'll use the netting that you have (or even chicken wire, though I don't think that would work as well with my idea):
If your coop is 32' wide, the apple tree will only support the netting in one area.
You can sure use it there, as I did with mine.

In the other areas, here is another great idea for supporting netting, which is self supporting. The pressure of the netting holds the poles in place. I know, because I also am using this.
They are very solid.
Here is one source: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...itary-surplus-screen-support-system?a=1727253
You could use these in the middle of the rest of the run to support the netting that you have.
Here are some pics, should be about 8' high using two pole pieces. (I think there are 3 pieces used in the second pic below).

So I went back to your initial post. At that point, you mentioned that you had purchased netting, but weren't sure how to attach with tree in the middle. And that you were worried mainly about daytime hawks,eagles. (Assuming chickens would be locked up in secure coop at night?). If that's the case, then you could use the netting alone, or the chicken wire + netting around the tree. Not secure against raccoons, etc., but more than secure against daytime aerial predators. (Making the top secure against ALL predators would involve adding a framework over the top and using 1/2 " hardware mesh screwed on. But it does not sound as it that is your goal). Assuming you'll use the netting that you have (or even chicken wire, though I don't think that would work as well with my idea): If your coop is 32' wide, the apple tree will only support the netting in one area. You can sure use it there, as I did with mine. In the other areas, here is another great idea for supporting netting, which is self supporting. The pressure of the netting holds the poles in place. I know, because I also am using this. They are very solid. Here is one source: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...itary-surplus-screen-support-system?a=1727253 You could use these in the middle of the rest of the run to support the netting that you have. Here are some pics, should be about 8' high using two pole pieces. (I think there are 3 pieces used in the second pic below).
Thank you! And yes, they would be locked in coop at night and of course it remains to be seen but we have worked hard to make the coop Fort Knox. So daytime aerial attack is what I am most concerned about. I watched a hawk carry off one of my neighbors free range chickens a couple weeks ago. I heard the rucous and looked around in time to see it get carried over the roof and into the woods. :( So yeah, hawks are a big problem. We are working hard also to make it difficult for something to get through the fence. During the day that would be primarily foxes(I see them all the time) and wandering dogs but....as long as my Pyrs are roaming I think they will be a big deterrent. I also plan to rig a tarp from the side of the coop and only 2-3 foot off the ground for something to run under. Might be overkill. And yes, I already have netting and chicken wire(that could be used around tree trunk?). :)

Thank you! And yes, they would be locked in coop at night and of course it remains to be seen but we have worked hard to make the coop Fort Knox. So daytime aerial attack is what I am most concerned about. I watched a hawk carry off one of my neighbors free range chickens a couple weeks ago. I heard the rucous and looked around in time to see it get carried over the roof and into the woods.
sad.png
So yeah, hawks are a big problem. We are working hard also to make it difficult for something to get through the fence. During the day that would be primarily foxes(I see them all the time) and wandering dogs but....as long as my Pyrs are roaming I think they will be a big deterrent. I also plan to rig a tarp from the side of the coop and only 2-3 foot off the ground for something to run under. Might be overkill.

And yes, I already have netting and chicken wire(that could be used around tree trunk?).
smile.png

If you have the dogs out during the day, and they 'hang out' in the general vicinity of the coop area, then I think you just need to protect against hawks/eagles.

Netting is much more flexible than wire, so personally, I'd use it over the whole thing, including around the tree.
What kind of netting do you have?

Here is one source: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...itary-surplus-screen-support-system?a=1727253 You could use these in the middle of the rest of the run to support the netting that you have. Here are some pics, should be about 8' high using two pole pieces. (I think there are 3 pieces used in the second pic below).
Sorry to jump in and steal here... But this is the same idea as what I was shooting for: I bought 2in black knotted rope netting off Amazon. And was planning to stand some pvc in the middle (perhaps planted in a bucket? haven't made it this far) to support it in the middle. These look like they would work great also, although a little pricy considering I probably only need 1-2 for my run. Curious how long you have had your net supported like this and if it causes damage where it contacts the net or if you have something to prevent that...

Last edited:
Sorry to jump in and steal here... But this is the same idea as what I was shooting for: I bought 2in black knotted rope netting off Amazon. And was planning to stand some pvc in the middle (perhaps planted in a bucket? haven't made it this far) to support it in the middle. These look like they would work great also, although a little pricy considering I probably only need 1-2 for my run. Curious how long you have had your net supported like this and if it causes damage where it contacts the net or if you have something to prevent that...
I know, I was able to buy 4 off of another member from a local group on FB. You're right about not needing all of them.
However, these are so easy to set up, that's worth something, including your time!

No damage- they are meant to be used to support netting. The netting that you bought sounds like mine, and is very tough.
So the fact that the top piece is wide, not pointy, helps with that. There are little 'bumps' on the top to keep the netting from sliding around, which also prevents breakage.
It's hard to believe, but the pole is very solid; I can bump against it and it is not going anywhere!

I've only use mind for a few months, but the lady I bought mine from has used them for a few years with good success.

That sounds like the same netting I bought. Got it from Amazon and it is black knotted rope. Good to know it is pretty strong. Bookmarked the link lynnehd for hubby to look at. PVC intrigues me.....mainly because I have a ton of it bought for another project and it didn't get used. But I have a feeling the weight of the rope would make it bend. :(

Eta: ladynewtochicks, I don't think a hijack. :) All discussion I think...

Last edited:
That sounds like the same netting I bought. Got it from Amazon and it is black knotted rope. Good to know it is pretty strong. Bookmarked the link lynnehd for hubby to look at. PVC intrigues me.....mainly because I have a ton of it bought for another project and it didn't get used. But I have a feeling the weight of the rope would make it bend.
sad.png

Eta: ladynewtochicks, I don't think a hijack.
smile.png
All discussion I think...
That netting is what I have, and has give, which makes it easier to work with. I can cut mine, and it doesn't unravel.

@Birdydeb , If you do use PVC poles for supports, you would need at least 1.5" diameter, but probably at least 2", so they'd be sturdy enough and not
bow/bend.
If you cap the PVC, you can then screw on an overturned plant saucer to help spread out and support the netting.
Another idea for supporting the PVC pole at the base is to get the next size up, about 3-4 feet in length, cut a pointy end and drive it into the ground. You can then slip your PVC pole into this to stabilize it.

(The army poles are OK just resting on the ground, it is kind of amazing).

Last edited:
I have a smaller pen than yours, but it also contains fruit trees (& a tool shed) so bird netting the whole top is impossible. I used 6' wide strips of bird netting & zap strapped them together to cover what I could. There are gaps but I have used string to cross from one strip to the next in the hope it will be a visual deterrent to hawks. So far it seems to have worked.

Back
Top Bottom