Ideas on getting rid of sparrows

preciouschick

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
south central PA
Si we have a huge sparrow problem. Our runs have a roof. The fence has plastic on them but not all the way around. We have tried netting but they always find a way in. We have tried hanging the owls with the metallic backs, they do nothing. Now that they have found a great food source they dont leave.
Has anyone found anything that truly works??

All our cats (10 of them) are very good hunters, but sparrows? Nope, they say they have better things to do then try to catch those birds, which are so good at avoiding cats.
I don't think they have ever caught one, sparrows are just too clever.
The only time the sparrows practically disappeared was when we had a rat plague, I think the rats were eating the eggs and maybe even the sparrow hens sitting on their nests?
If you can get traps, and if they work, that would be the way to go.

I have heard and think it is reasonably true...if you catch sparrows in a cage or kill one or two some way...they will leave. They do bring mites......

Your post stated the reason the wild birds are coming, you are feeding them. Stop that and they will leave. Get a treadle feeder. Even the bad ones like the Grandpa Xi feeder will stop sparrows. But do your research and get one that is rat proof too while you are spending the money. Cheaper too than the Grandpa feeder.

Si we have a huge sparrow problem. Our runs have a roof. The fence has plastic on them but not all the way around. We have tried netting but they always find a way in. We have tried hanging the owls with the metallic backs, they do nothing. Now that they have found a great food source they dont leave.
Has anyone found anything that truly works??
A pellet rifle is awesome

I would try window screen mesh if all you want is to keep little birds out. It’s only $13 right now for a 4x10ft roll on amazon. Similar pricing per sq ft at Home Depot for various sizes. I would think if you carefully covered openings with it, that would keep the birds out.

Also as others said, limit the food sources as well.

Back
Top Bottom