Ideas on how expand this coop

Thanera

Songster
Nov 21, 2020
Panhandle of NE
Hi everyone,

So I purchased a prefab coop and have modified it over the past year but I feel like I might want to expand it for my girls. I currently have 7 Bantams and they all seem to do fine but I'm thinking they could perhaps have more roosting space. There is the typical jossle at bedtime for the best spot but everyone ends up on the roosts and there is room to spare. ~1-2 feet on each bar? This coop is also attached to a large chicken run that is 1/4 covered. Coop size: 36"L x 36"W

1629602458552.png

So the current set up is I have 3 roosting bars up higher in an H-ish shape along with a roosting bar on the left "Nesting box" area and just have the 3 nesting boxes to the right. (They only ever really use the first two boxes.) I know it's not ideal to have any roosting bars in front of those windows but I put vent covers over them once it gets colder to prevent drafts but still allow airflow. I have carved many holes in this thing to allow for good 24/7/365 ventilation but no drafts.

1629602860149.png
1629603308098.png 1629603354413.png
I was thinking about removing the catch tray and enclosing the bottom and maybe making more of a ladder roost? But then that would leave the door ~2.5 ft off the ground, would that be awkward for them? Would be more of a chicken tower coop.

Adding vertical space won't help a crowding problem because chickens all want to be on the highest level.

Best I can see without looking at it in person, I think you've gone about as far as you can with that prefab -- doing better than most people manage -- and need to put the time, effort, and money into a roomier replacement. :)

The only other suggestion I can make is to somehow build a covered "porch" where the coop meets the run to give them a sheltered area to hang out in other than the coop itself.

Where, in general, are you located? (You can add it to your profile). Climate matters, especially when it comes to housing. :)

Adding vertical space won't help a crowding problem because chickens all want to be on the highest level.

Best I can see without looking at it in person, I think you've gone about as far as you can with that prefab -- doing better than most people manage -- and need to put the time, effort, and money into a roomier replacement. :)

The only other suggestion I can make is to somehow build a covered "porch" where the coop meets the run to give them a sheltered area to hang out in other than the coop itself.

Where, in general, are you located? (You can add it to your profile). Climate matters, especially when it comes to housing. :)
I'm in the panhandle of Nebraska, winter went well last year for everyone in the coop. I have a smart thermometer in there and always keep an eye on the temp and humidity. I was thinking that too about making a "porch" for them

I'm in the panhandle of Nebraska, winter went well last year for everyone in the coop. I have a smart thermometer in there and always keep an eye on the temp and humidity. I was thinking that too about making a "porch" for them

A covered, or partially-covered run is particularly helpful for people who get snow.

A covered, or partially-covered run is particularly helpful for people who get snow.
Yep! The run is already about 1/4th covered already so when it rains the chickens always opt for being under the coop or the run's "roof". and nearby trees provide lots of shade for the summer. Though a covered "porch" I think would be a great idea like you said. This will be the girls first winter in this particular spot and it gets lots of good southern sun all day during the winter. I noticed the wind does like to funnel a bit down through the run though if it's blowing from the right direction. I have a bunch of pieces of the "run" that came with the prefab coop. Was thinking about making a porch with that off the front of the coop then covering 3/4 if it with clear tarp. Part of the old run had a door on it so I guess I'd have that front and center covered as well but allow it to still be opened. Make it easy to keep them "in" on really bad snow days
1629651469458.png

Back
Top Bottom