Ideas please, Windows

PorkyPete

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Christchurch, NZ
My coop is a converted shed and both my chooks love roosting on the window sill, One of the glass windows are still there but the other I can't even remember what happened to it but the window hasn't been in for a very long time. We put hardware cloth over it and left it at that because it provides great ventilation and we can interact and see the chickens easily with it like that. However as we are going into winter here when it rains, Which it is right now, It doesn't quite work haha.
So I want something that can go over the window to stop the rain getting them, But still provide airflow and light, Or just something that can be pulled down somehow at night/when its raining and then put back up in the morning, However it would still need to give some light and make it so we can still see them somewhat. Possibly unrealistic? Haha
tongue.png

This is a photo if it helps
IMG_5889.jpg

How about a piece of plexiglass with a hinge at the top and a hasp at the bottom to lock it. You could hinge a brace that could hold it up during the day. Build a frame around the plexiglass by sandwiching the plexiglass between two pieces of wood, grooved out for the plexiglass.

Or hinges on the left, a hasp on the right, and swing it open. A chain, rope, something to the left with a snap lock that could go to the hasp could hold it open.

yeah what ridgerunner said.........i would top hinge it so you could leave it open in rain if you want. make sure to make the slot 1/4 bigger than the plexi glass so it can expand

It's hard when you don't have much roof overhang. Would it work to extend the roof over the window, like a little porch? Then you'd still get all the ventilation and visibility, but it would keep the rain from blowing in.

If you don't want to have to open/close it all the time, the best overall solution (a little more work than just a hinged plexiglass panel -- although still quite EASY to build) would be to make a little "porch roof" sticking out over that opening. If it were made of plexiglass or clear plastic corrugated roofing you wouldn't even have to worry about it cutting down on light or visibility.

(e.t.a. -- actually, you want a really QUICK partial fix? Put eavestroughs (or gutter, or whatever the correct NZ term is
tongue.png
) on the existing roofing. I would bet that a whole lot of whatever water's coming in on rainy days is not from RAIN per se, it's probably from roof-drip being tipped back into the window if there is even the slightest breeze)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited:
I was going to use plexiglass myself but the cost was too high. I found some old window sashes at a recycled building products store for $5 ea. I put hinges on them and set them up with a pully system for opening. Got the idea right here on BYC. It's amazing the ideas people come up with on this site.

Keith

Never thought of putting a gutter in, That could work. Have to do some roof repairs too so we will be buying clear corrugated roofing for that so we might get some extra to extend the roof, Thanks guys
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom