Ideas to attach omlet cube run to a walk-in covered kennel?

Depending on the model, I've never seen one that could hold more than 4 birds, maximum.
They cost $1000, you can most certainly build, or find someone to build you a decent sized tractor, If you're unable yourself.
Here are some plans.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/tractor-coops.17/

Have you ever used a portable potty on a summers day? Those have more ventilation than an eglu.
The easy to clean part pertains to the ability to hose it out, which is the only way to clean them since they're so small.
They are not designed with chickens instincts, health or well being in mind. I'm actually not sure what they're designed for besides to rip off newbie chicken people.
I have seen people replace the vent covers with HWC to increase ventilation, which I will do if I find it's not enough.

I have wondered if the Omlet products are to chicken owners as the FlowHive is to beekeepers.

I am getting the Eglu Cube model which they say can fit 10 hens, but reviews say probably no more than 8 depending on the breed so I am also considering the hen size when selecting breeds. I'm not planning to get 6 orpingtons.
All manufacturers exagerate the population numbers. It's been proven over and over again by people here who actually keep chickens.
"They" say:
1704661715681.png

But the dimensions given show the coop itself is 5' wide, by (guessing 3-4 long) and half that is nest area. So not really even up to factory farm requirements.

More inside space is highly recommended(by experienced keepers) in harsh climates like yours.

You came here for advice and like many other people don't want to listen.
Best of cLuck to yas.

help manage the huge ant and tick infestation
Ticks they may help with, but I would definitely not try to manage ants primarily with chickens! Depending on the level of ant activity you have, either their populations will be unphased by chicken nibbling (chickens usually don't and really shouldn't eat many ants per unit time due to the formic acid content, which is a bad digestive irritant in any significant quantity) or the chickens will actually be at risk from the ants if they cause a large colony to go into offesnive mode. Large colonies of even not-so-big ants can overwhelm smaller vertebrates when they can't escape, and the will go for the corners of the mouth, the nares, and especially the eyes on birds. If the chickens are confined in a tractor rather than free-ranging, they can't necessarily get away from a large angry ant colony if things go sour. I had terrible ant problems in my front yard when I first moved to my house and used those green liquid borax stake things to knock the ant activity back; my chickens have also generally avoided ant areas when I've let them out.

Not meaning to dump on the omlet tractor idea more broadly; if my land wasn't such a lumpy, rocky mess I'd have a tractor in use. It's just the ant part is risky since I've seen what even pretty small ants can do to wild birds that couldn't get away fast enough and it's not pretty.

Prefab manufacturers lie like rugs, take any number they say their coop can hold and a third of it is the real number.
Nothing sours a new chicken keepers experience quicker than a prefab, always go bigger. A good hand-built tractor will always have a buyer.
I have an 8x8 for 13 birds, and I know I should have gone bigger. And added an aviary door.
Very few climates would work for an eglu and yours, like mine, isn't one of them.
I would go over your goals and reasons for owning chickens and decide whether are not they'd be right for your current circumstances....
My chickens will not eat ants and fire ants will kill chickens quite easily.

Last edited:
Ticks they may help with, but I would definitely not try to manage ants primarily with chickens! Depending on the level of ant activity you have, either their populations will be unphased by chicken nibbling (chickens usually don't and really shouldn't eat many ants per unit time due to the formic acid content, which is a bad digestive irritant in any significant quantity) or the chickens will actually be at risk from the ants if they cause a large colony to go into offesnive mode. Large colonies of even not-so-big ants can overwhelm smaller vertebrates when they can't escape, and the will go for the corners of the mouth, the nares, and especially the eyes on birds. If the chickens are confined in a tractor rather than free-ranging, they can't necessarily get away from a large angry ant colony if things go sour. I had terrible ant problems in my front yard when I first moved to my house and used those green liquid borax stake things to knock the ant activity back; my chickens have also generally avoided ant areas when I've let them out.

Not meaning to dump on the omlet tractor idea more broadly; if my land wasn't such a lumpy, rocky mess I'd have a tractor in use. It's just the ant part is risky since I've seen what even pretty small ants can do to wild birds that couldn't get away fast enough and it's not pretty.
Yikes! I'll keep an eye out if I see aggressive ant behavior. I've been using borax baits too and have found it difficult to keep up with the ants. Chickens were just going to be part of a general IPM. I know I shouldn't expect them to solve all my pest problems. I mostly want hens as enrichment for my kids. They seem fun to have and any other benefit they could provide would be a bonus.

I mostly want hens as enrichment for my kids. They seem fun to have and any other benefit they could provide would be a bonus.
They really are a lot of fun to have.

Anyway, getting back to the original topic of the thread, if a kennel type "dock" for the tractor is a daytime-only space, you don't necessarily need to cover it in HWC. A predator skirt is still a good idea so the extended area wouldn't become a weak point for digging dogs/foxes. 1/2in HWC is the most overall secure thing of course but unless you also covered the tractor in that to make the gaps smaller than the welded wire of the eglu's run, there wouldn't be much point having it on an extension area. Also, a walk-in way to interact with chickens like a large kennel is a really good way to have friendly birds - you can put a couple plastic chairs in there and sit with them.

I have seen people replace the vent covers with HWC to increase ventilation, which I will do if I find it's not enough.

I have wondered if the Omlet products are to chicken owners as the FlowHive is to beekeepers.
This is an older post but curious what you ended up doing. I absolutely think the cube is like the flow hive (I have both and love both). Not sure why it is so controversial. It is an investment that has been totally worth it to me. If you have a good covered run then it can certainly fit 4 hens (we have 3 and they are happy and at night there is room for another. I think the ventilation is fine. Mine have never had issues 4 years in. You keep it clean by scooping poop like a cat litter box so there is not the ammonia buildup as in other setups which requires more ventilation. Also after 4 years it is still like brand new). The only modification I made was adding mosquito screening to the vents. Ours is just pressed against an opening on a homemade run and with an auto door on the coop so I’m not worried about predators or attaching it more firmly. I would say you definitely need a covered run though. I think most size concern with the cube assumes it is the only place for them to go in the rain or bad weather. You might want more of a wind break on the run in cold climates as well. Tarps or boards could do the trick though. My set up also includes an auto door to a chicken tunnel that leads to an enclosed sand box and then to a garden enclosure where chickens can access half and the other half is for garden vegetables- the enclosure keeps the squirrels and opossums out - then I rotate which side the chickens can access. They spend 80% of the time in the tunnel and garden enclosure. We started out with just the setup you can see here and have added a bit each year more out of fun than necessity.
IMG_1961.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom