1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ideas to keep hawks at bay

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Lovethembuffs, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Lovethembuffs

Lovethembuffs Just Hatched

May 24, 2016
    Hello Everyone:

Does anyone have any ideas of how to deter aerial attacks from hawks on geese? I lost a 3 month old American Buff female to a hawk yesterday. They are out in order to graze. If I kept them confined and netted they would not have grass to eat. I know this may be a tall order but if anyone had an idea for a deterrent I would be most grateful. I do have two new babies from a late hatch. The are with the older geese and that seems to be working out. I do have a lot of trees on the property. I am on high alert. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thank you in advance. [​IMG]

2. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    A livestock guardian dog or predator lights.

3. Lovethembuffs

May 24, 2016
    Thank you for your response and suggestions. It was my dog that alerted me to what was going on at 3 pm yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately I wasn't able to respond in time. [​IMG]

4. Carrosaur

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Did your dog not chase the hawk off?

5. Lovethembuffs

May 24, 2016
    As it turns out it was not a hawk but a coyote who came in today and grabbed my rooster!! That was the last bird he will grab from my flock. The coyote did not survive!! Unfortunately the rooster did not survive either!!!

6. Carrosaur

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Congrats on killing it. Just saw a coyote in my yard yesterday, jarring. I'm thankful for my LGD, he's great at his job.

7. Lovethembuffs

May 24, 2016
    LGD???? Yeah where the is one coyote there are more!! I'm still on alert and since he is a now a warning on my fence the rest may hesitate before breaching my stockwire fence!!

8. Carrosaur

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Livestock guardian dog

9. Lovethembuffs

May 24, 2016
    Got it!!! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by