Ideas to keep water from freezing without electricity.

speeps76

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 7, 2012
North Carolina
We're on 10 acres, and there isn't a good way to get power all the way out to the chicken pen. Has anyone tried to make a cookie tin heater with something like this? It's a portable, rechargeable, battery powered hand warmer. I wonder if it might have enough warmth to keep water from freezing. We're in NC, so it doesn't get crazy cold, but it definitely gets cold enough to freeze water over night in winter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002U36EPK?ref_=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

I used the water cups that they peck when they want water. the ones i ordered didn't come with rubber washer or nuts but i got those at my hardware store. Here is a picture of them

Wow, I'm surprised the water isn't freezing in the cups! That's great. It's supposed to be in the low 20s here tonight, so I'll see how the water makes out.

Even though i didnt have any issues with water freezing in the 5 gallon buckets i have now upgraded to 55 gallon barrels using the same cups just more of them in preparation of having surgery and not going to be able to walk for 2 weeks so far even though its been below freezing a few nights in a row its not frozen

Another tar heel here. I got an electric waterer for the early mornings and days like today. I had to run two extension cords down to my chicken run to plug it up. Its supposed to keep the water from freezing down to 0°. We do get that cold but only rarely. Think we did last winter maybe. Anyway it keeps my chickens with water at all times and then I also have 4 other containers of water here and there. I go down in the mornings and take two of them out that has blocks of ice in them and replace them with fresh containers filled with water.

I caved and got the heater. I also had to run 2 hundred food extension cords. It's been working like a charm, though. I must say, it's really, really nice to not have to go deal with lugging water on a freezing cold morning.

Its also really good not to have to worry whether or not they have water on days when I'm at work and we are below freezing all day. Glad you got the heater and I know your chickens are too.

Back
Top Bottom