Identification of rescued ducks?

TexanDuckMama

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2020
We rescued two baby ducklings on Aug 9th that were dumped at the local pond. Possibly some undergraduate project, it coincided with the end of summer term at TAMU. Can anyone identify what kind they are? I kind of think Indian Runner and Pekin cross (is that a thing?).. they seem to stand up more than my other pekin, but don't seem to have the sleek runner body (yet). They are probably 2 months old, haven't really started quacking yet.
Picture of them after we had them about a week
PebblesDaisyBaby.png

Picture of them now:

PebblesDaisy.png

Also, we are trying to integrate them into our flock.. We've done it slow..first quarantined (3 weeks), then shared fence (2 weeks), couple of days of swapped areas, now they are in the same area during the day. Our hen in charge (Pekin) still chases them off. At night they are in the same wood coop, but I had to build a partition to protect the babies. How long does it take to integrate ducks into a new flock?

Beautiful ducks and goose. To me they look like Pekin and blk Swedish. The bill on the white one doesn't look as orange as I have seen on other Pekins. And I could be wrong on both counts. Black Swedish
as for how long can it take it depends on the ducks. Hopefully as we get more into fall things will be settling down with the hormones Drake and females. To me this is the easier time to integrate. So hang in there. and bless you for rescuing them.
white layer
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pekin-vs-white-layer.1373699/

Last edited:
We rescued two baby ducklings on Aug 9th that were dumped at the local pond. Possibly some undergraduate project, it coincided with the end of summer term at TAMU. Can anyone identify what kind they are? I kind of think Indian Runner and Pekin cross (is that a thing?).. they seem to stand up more than my other pekin, but don't seem to have the sleek runner body (yet). They are probably 2 months old, haven't really started quacking yet.
Picture of them after we had them about a week
View attachment 2836186

Picture of them now:

View attachment 2836188

Also, we are trying to integrate them into our flock.. We've done it slow..first quarantined (3 weeks), then shared fence (2 weeks), couple of days of swapped areas, now they are in the same area during the day. Our hen in charge (Pekin) still chases them off. At night they are in the same wood coop, but I had to build a partition to protect the babies. How long does it take to integrate ducks into a new flock?

Adorbs! Pekin and black swedish. Look like girls to me.

Back
Top Bottom