identify strange duck

Lighthear

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Elkhorn, WI
Hi all,
well today the universe sent a stray duck my way. He/she quacks like a young duck and it can not fly. She is a bit shy around people but strikes me as a farm yard stray. I just can not identify her. all white body, red around eyes and a black crest that can go up and down. I just can not identify this poor duck to list her in the local shopper and try to find her owner.I sure could use some help in identifying this funky ducky! thanks! Terri

Muscovy
smile.png

so you all say it is a Muscovy? I'm guessing a young bird/duckling? Sure doesn't look like any Muscovy in my bird books. any special care? I'm in WI and have raised Runners. Offering Flock raiser,corn, lettuce,peas and water to my stray friend. Going to be 34 tonight with rain and snow , will she be ok? I dragged out a hut for her in my outdoor duck pen.
Terri

Yes it's defiantly a Scovy. With those Cranucles I would say a relatively young bird. Once she's been quarantined she should be able to hang out with your runners. Flock raiser will be fine. Does the pen have at least partial shade from the elements?

yes, she has a hut to go into,but I no longer have my runners.only 2 mating geese and 6 wyandottes! I tried ducks as a novice, ( 12 runners and didn't find that a good fit) so am not real interested in more ducks. thinking of taking her to the local animal shelter?

My partner seems to think I should have let this duck be and it would have gone back home. Now I am confused should have i offered food and shelter or am I kidnapping my neighbors duck? There is no one by me that I know that raises ducks.Should I let her loose tomorrow to find her way home??? I am such an animal person that I view her as a domestic duck who needs my help, but being new to the hobby farm life,did I screw up and should let her fend for herself/???

My advice: I'd treat it like a lost dog, and ask around the neighborhood. Also, let the local shelter know you have it in case the owner called them looking. If you haven't found the owner in a week, then talk to the shelter about rehoming it. If you let it go, it may find it's way home, or it may get eaten.

Back
Top Bottom