Identify the breed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shivakumar, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Shivakumar

Shivakumar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Could anyone please help me to identify the breed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Hi There and welcome to BYC

What a precious little duck. Despite her bill she really does still look to be smiling. With the feather pattern I would say there is a chance they are cross bred - with one parent being an Indian Runner.

3. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    A piece of me wants to say it's also a cross. Looks kinda like they have some Swedish in them? Or are Swedes. I'm not very familiar with duck breeds, unfortunately.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    They are mixed breed. The big one maybe has some Swedish in it and something brown. The little one is just a mystery. What is called "Heinz 57" in dogs.

5. Shivakumar

Shivakumar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Thanks for your clarification. That is what I thought about her too. She is 4 month old. What about the younger one? Is he (seems a boy to me) a cross too or a runner?

There are no proper breeder/seller for the duck or chickens. We always end buying from the road aide vendors. They have different breeds of different sizes in their shop. I bought six ducklings in different occasions and these two are the remaining. I bought this brown one and an yellow one during the end of last november. Our hen attacked the ducklings and the yellow died the next day and this brown survived and her upper beak was damaged and hence the lack of growth. Then she is left without a company for almost a month, as I could not find the sellers. In that time I learned little about the ducks from the internet and attracted by the kakhi campbell due to its brown color.

After a month, I brought a brown ducking to home and she died after two days. Then again after a week, I bought two brown and one black/white (in the picture) ducklings. One of the brown died in a week. The another brown died last week (2 month old). She was very aggressive and she made the black bleed in his wings twice. Now I am taking extra care to these two ducklings.

The black has a peculiar habit of scratching the ground under the water and look for food. I think he learned it by seeing out hens.

The brown has an urge to eat chicken and bat poops. The smaller one is also seems learning it now. Whenever I see it, I restrict them, but I can't always watch them. Will it affect their health?

6. DeCanard

DeCanard Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Ohio
    The younger one seems to be a penciled runner, or a mix of it and another duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by