Identifying egg

kaisersoze89

Hatching
Jun 22, 2016
Ok
This may sound stupid, but I have 4 buff orphingtons, 4 RIR's, and Cayuga duck hen. All around 6months. They just started laying this weekend, all over the place, in the yard, and in the coop, as they free range during the day. I have some funky colored eggs, I cannot tell if they are chicken or duck. I thought RIR and BO had a light brown, these are grayish green. Are they duck eggs then? Seems like a lot of eggs for a duck to lay just over this weekend. Any response is appreciated Thanks!

I've never had a female Cayuga, but certainly there's no RIR or BO who lays an egg of such a color. So unless you've got a surprise Olive Egger hen, then yes, that's from your duck. A bit small for a duck egg but then she's just starting. Duck eggs will have a much waxier feeling shell than chicken eggs.

Thank you! that's cool to hear. I just found all of them in two days. Is it possible for her to lay more than once in a day? Or do you think I just found them days after she started laying?

Thank you! that's cool to hear. I just found all of them in two days. Is it possible for her to lay more than once in a day? Or do you think I just found them days after she started laying?

Possible? In theory. But likely? Absolutely not. You found the nest late. New hens (both ducks and chickens) will have huge variance in their laying cycles as they begin to produce; some may lay only a few eggs over the course of a few weeks, other may go right into a five egg a week cycle. Very dependant on the individual. They may have laid those eggs once every day for three days or over the course of weeks, and simply hidden them (ducks have a tendency to push their (and other's) eggs beneath the bedding to conceal them).

Well I guess I better keep my eyes open for them now that I know she's laying! I didn't think it was ever gonna happen. thank you for answering me

Might want to coop them up for while to 'train' them to lay in coop nests...unless you enjoy the daily egg hunt.
Not sure it will work for ducks, but it does for chickens.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help habituate them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom