Identifying flock members

crystalsc

Songster
Jul 20, 2023
Greenville, SC
I’m a first time chick mom. My barred rock pullets are almost 9 weeks old. They are now getting easy to tell apart by their feather shapes and colors. What I’d like to know is, will that always be the case? Will they molt and their feathers look different? Will their feather colors or patterns change over time? I’d very much like to assign their names.

I’m a first time chick mom. My barred rock pullets are almost 9 weeks old. They are now getting easy to tell apart by their feather shapes and colors. What I’d like to know is, will that always be the case? Will they molt and their feathers look different? Will their feather colors or patterns change over time? I’d very much like to assign their names.
I use legbands to tell them apart. I give one color to one name and a chart saying who is who until I remember.

They will probably be hard to tell apart and feathering/color patterns will change from what they are now when they get more grown. If you want to name them the leg bands are probably needed. Some of them may get some distinctive marking or comb shape difference you can pick out. I have 9 RIR and I can tell them all apart but they're all pretty much named chicky or lady.

They will probably be hard to tell apart and feathering/color patterns will change from what they are now when they get more grown. If you want to name them the leg bands are probably needed. Some of them may get some distinctive marking or comb shape difference you can pick out. I have 9 RIR and I can tell them all apart but they're all pretty much named chicky or lady.
Thank you. Their combs aren’t developed enough yet to tell. I may do the bands until then.

Back
Top Bottom