Identifying possible exploders while chicks are hatching- help?

irradiatedsnakes

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 9, 2018
Hi! We're currently in the midst of day 21 of a clutch of eggs secretly laid and incubated by one of our hens, that are now in our incubator (while she tends to her 3 already-hatched chicks). 5 out of 8 eggs right now have pipped! However, I just had to discard #9 because it was leaking that exploding bacteria, and has evidently gone bad. About 10 days ago we had an exploder, and I cleaned out the incubator and all the eggs as best I could (the hen laid them in a very inopportune/damp spot). I hadn't realized any bad ones were left- when I candled them last around day 15 (approximate, since we don't know when the eggs were laid/began to be incubated these are estimates based on development), every one left was alive, and I haven't candled them since as not to disturb the about-to-hatch birds. My question is- is there any good way/tricks at this stage to identify potential exploders before they go, besides goop leaking out? Because one right now exploding on the emerging chicks would be the absolute nightmare scenario, pretty much.

I hope you can get your answer soon. There's a very informative guy here called @Shadrach . I'm not saying he will have the answer but if he doesn't he may know someone that will.

I will be looking to see how this pans out for you.
Congratulations on what you and your hen have already achieved. :)

Good luck with the remaining eggs

Hi! We're currently in the midst of day 21 of a clutch of eggs secretly laid and incubated by one of our hens, that are now in our incubator (while she tends to her 3 already-hatched chicks). 5 out of 8 eggs right now have pipped! However, I just had to discard #9 because it was leaking that exploding bacteria, and has evidently gone bad. About 10 days ago we had an exploder, and I cleaned out the incubator and all the eggs as best I could (the hen laid them in a very inopportune/damp spot). I hadn't realized any bad ones were left- when I candled them last around day 15 (approximate, since we don't know when the eggs were laid/began to be incubated these are estimates based on development), every one left was alive, and I haven't candled them since as not to disturb the about-to-hatch birds. My question is- is there any good way/tricks at this stage to identify potential exploders before they go, besides goop leaking out? Because one right now exploding on the emerging chicks would be the absolute nightmare scenario, pretty much.
I know everyone says not to, but I do candle on day 18-20, and all my chicks always hatch out.

I'm afraid I don't know of any reliable way to check for bad eggs bar the floating test and that may not weed out any eggs that are on the edge.
I have had hens start to sit on "bad" eggs and what I've found is the broody hen pushes them out of the nest.
I don't use an incubator and I never candle eggs either so I'm not going to be of much help.

Did as I was replying think you have a pretty handle on them now !

Back
Top Bottom