idk what to do!!

tabeer

Hatching
6 Years
May 1, 2013
So i have this baby turkey and i have had it for almost 2 weeks and this morning before i left for school i seen there was something wrong with it's eye...it's closed but my turkey can open it but it only opens it like when it gets scared and it mostly walks around with that one eye closed and i don't know what to do for it's eye to open back up...HELP!!!!

Antibiotics. I am not sure which kind. Some can go in the water. Hopefully someone else with more experience can help soon.

I would do nothing and wait it out. It may have just been poked by another turkey or an obstacle in the coop. It will probably recover just fine.

Full disclosure notice: I am not a fan of antibiotics in livestock unless you are sure it is a bacterial infection. Even then, I am prone to avoid antibiotics. I have only used antibiotics to treat a food animal once (a piglet), and in retrospect it turned out to be unnecessary. I also don't think we should indiscriminantly spray pesticides on crops. Too often we use cures as preventions. End of soapbox. (didn't we used to have a soapbox smiley?)

I would do nothing and wait it out. It may have just been poked by another turkey or an obstacle in the coop. It will probably recover just fine.

Full disclosure notice: I am not a fan of antibiotics in livestock unless you are sure it is a bacterial infection. Even then, I am prone to avoid antibiotics. I have only used antibiotics to treat a food animal once (a piglet), and in retrospect it turned out to be unnecessary. I also don't think we should indiscriminantly spray pesticides on crops. Too often we use cures as preventions. End of soapbox. (didn't we used to have a soapbox smiley?)
x's 2, my view exactly. I rise my own poultry to get away form all the antibiotic's and drugs the commercial flocks are fed. What they eat we end up ingesting when we eat them

I second this. Antibiotics have been over used and misused. WIth dire consequences. For eyes I try to flush with sterile saline for the eyes from a drug store , but the animals are never copperative and usually it works it self out. If it becomes a true infection, I now opt to cull.

Lagerdogger-- we do need a soapbox smiley-- for people like you to stand on and remind us all the right way to manage.

Back
Top Bottom