if an ee is born from a green egg can it lay a blue egg?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bock_Bock, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i just set 52 eggs some which include green ee eggs i was wondering if ee that come from one color egg can layer a diffrent color egg come laying time

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    my ee lays green eggs, and sometime they look blue ish, so i would say yes

3. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok thanks bro ill keep an eye out for this if any1 else knows please post here thanks

4. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    oh, and depending on what the fathers genes are, they could be blue/green/brown

5. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    then heres another question for any1 to answer from ees what was th most diffriental color of eggs you got from 1 hen? so im jinda also asking can a hen lay a green egg one day then a nice blue one the next day?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Usually, an EE will start with one color egg and stay that way for all of their laying days... sometimes they will change slightly in color over time, but usually they stay about the same.

A blue egg layer can come from a green egg if the father came from a blue egg... sometimes.

7. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok i see i got a bunch of green egg lol i just hope i am lucky and hopfully get a blue egg layer from them

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    During a season of laying (between molts/broodiness, etc.) a hen's eggs start with more pigment deposited in and/or on the shell. Over the course of that season there will gradually be less and less pigment deposited.

Since different genes and pigments are involved it seems possible that they could fade at different rates, causing a greener egg to become bluer (or possibly the other way round), but I don't know of any studies to verify or contradict this.

What you won;t get is a hen laying one colour of egg some days and a different colour other days.

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I doubt it. I know that there are breeders having a hard time getting the green out of their araucana. I guess if the father carries 2 blue egg genes it might be very slightly possible, but I think unlikey since the green is usually the result of a blue crossed with a brown layer.

10. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok thanks guys i so wanted a blue egg layer but i guess im not gonna get one thanks you guys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by