if an ee is born from a green egg can it lay a blue egg?

Bock_Bock

Songster
11 Years
Dec 13, 2008
Hayward, Ca
i just set 52 eggs some which include green ee eggs i was wondering if ee that come from one color egg can layer a diffrent color egg come laying time

then heres another question for any1 to answer from ees what was th most diffriental color of eggs you got from 1 hen? so im jinda also asking can a hen lay a green egg one day then a nice blue one the next day?

Usually, an EE will start with one color egg and stay that way for all of their laying days... sometimes they will change slightly in color over time, but usually they stay about the same.

A blue egg layer can come from a green egg if the father came from a blue egg... sometimes.

During a season of laying (between molts/broodiness, etc.) a hen's eggs start with more pigment deposited in and/or on the shell. Over the course of that season there will gradually be less and less pigment deposited.

Since different genes and pigments are involved it seems possible that they could fade at different rates, causing a greener egg to become bluer (or possibly the other way round), but I don't know of any studies to verify or contradict this.

What you won;t get is a hen laying one colour of egg some days and a different colour other days.

I doubt it. I know that there are breeders having a hard time getting the green out of their araucana. I guess if the father carries 2 blue egg genes it might be very slightly possible, but I think unlikey since the green is usually the result of a blue crossed with a brown layer.

Back
Top Bottom