If an egg has been in the water is it no longer viable to hatch????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmsim93, Jan 23, 2010.

1. jmsim93

jmsim93 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2009
    East Texas
    My ducks have just begun to lay and I found one of the eggs on the edge of the bank, partially in water. It had only been there for a couple of hours at most. Does this damage the egg to where it will not hatch???

2. ljf24

ljf24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    TN
    Im not sure about duck eggs, but if it gets to humid in an incubator I know it can drown the embryo in a chicken egg.

3. crazybarnlady

crazybarnlady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2010
    langley, BC, Canada
    I don't think so, but I am no expert on hatching eggs. My ducks have quite often laid this winter in or near the water- but hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.

duck eggs are a lot more impervious to water than chicken eggs, and if it has not been started yet I don't think it matters.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I remember reading a story (I think it was here on BYC, but I'm not 100% sure) about someone who found a nest of mallard eggs submerged underwater when a river or creek flooded, and managed to hatch ducklings from them - I think 2 hatched.

Anyway, the point of my sketchy story is that it is possible - it shouldn't hurt anything to try incubating it for a week and see if it develops at all.

5. jmsim93

jmsim93 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2009
    East Texas
    Quote:Great! Thanks for the feedback. I have never incubated before but a friend of mine is going to let me have his incubator because he only uses broody hens now. I will be looking at a lot of post to try and learn the basics. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by