If bird is very injured

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by redbarn401, Oct 25, 2010.

1. redbarn401

redbarn401 New Egg

Oct 25, 2010
    If a bird is very injured by a predator, how would someone humanely be able to put the bird down if a vet were not a nearby/quick option? I am no farmer and I adore my birds, but if I find myself with a suffering bird, what do I do????

2. redbarn401

redbarn401 New Egg

Oct 25, 2010
    I forgot to mention, there is no way I could ever harm a bird (such as you know, it's neck). Is there anything else one can do to get in done quickly and painlessly?

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I'm in the same boat as you. I've decided that if I ever have a bird that is injured beyond help and that they are suffering greatly, I would force myself to chop off their heads, or have DH do it. Then get psychological therapy ASAP!

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Killing a bird will always involve harming it. [​IMG]

The most popular technique (from what I've read) is to chop off the head. It's fast, although I imagine it isn't much fun for the person who has to do it.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Are you sure that your chicken is beyond help? They can survive horrible trauma. If you have to put it down, I agree with Kooshie. Faster is best for the chicken, knowing you are giving the last best gift you can to your bird.

Sorry you are in this position.

Imp

6. Shaun

Shaun Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    SW Central Michigan
    I think you would find the broomstick method the easiest, [​IMG] however, I agree that chickens can survive horrible trauma and survive. Can you put the bird in a quiet cage with some water laced with antibiotics and a lot of nice soft bedding? Help the bird get a drink, if need be. I've had some birds with most of their skin and feathers on their backs ripped loose and they survived and lived nice long chicken lives.

7. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    I have thought of this too, Redbarn, preparing myself if I ever have to do the deadly deed.
    I know I couldnt break a neck, and have decided it would be the axe. [​IMG]
    I am hoping I will never have to face that though.

8. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    This is an essential question I think that every chicken owner must consider, and should know their own answer to it long before it ever becomes necessary to act on it. The longer you keep chickens, and the more of them you have, the more likely it will be that one day, some day, you will be faced with a bird that is suffering from illness or injury. That bird will be depending upon YOU to put an end to its misery and help it get Across The Road. There may not be time to go to the vet, maybe even not time to wait for a friend or relative to come help.

There have been many threads written on just this topic, do a search on words like "Humane way to cull". You'll see that often the methods that are the most difficult for the person are the kindest to the animal, because they provide quick & efficent results. You'll just have to strap on your Big Boy/Girl boots and do it.

9. redbarn401

redbarn401 New Egg

Oct 25, 2010
    Thank you so much everyone. I have been faced with this. My dear bird is living with a vet the injuries are so extensive. This happened last Wednesday. She was ripped open and bitten by a dog. Suffice it to say, my flock now has a chicken run. I don't have the heart to put them in danger even though I did enjoy watching them roam all over the yard. Now they are confined [​IMG] but safer. The woman whose dog it was thinks it's crazy to bring a $4.00 chicken to the vet and pay a lot of money to help heal it. She declined to help with the cost. NH has a leash law, her dog came on to my property and tore into my birds. It's one thing if an animal is hungry and in survival mode or feeding it's young. Another when a complete stranger rides a horse past my house with her loose dog and it goes nuts on my birds. I think I am going to file a police report and maybe she'll get citation.

10. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:You need to read chapter 466 of the New Hampshire State Statutes, you should file a report, she is liable for the cost to you of her dogs actions.

If the police don't want to do anything remind them that according to 466:21 you can also go after the town or city for damages.

If the dog shows up again and bothers your birds you can kill the dog according to 466:28.

You can read all of Chapter 466 here: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xlv/466/466-mrg.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by